Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cook's Illustrated Board closing.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 am 

It takes time to build a community. Traffic here has been growing steadily for the last few months, and with new members they'll drag some other members along and, if everything goes well, it'll be hoppin' here soon enough. Online communities are a little unpredictable in success. While it is easy enough to identify numerous factors which will kill one, it isn't so easy to identify (and, especially, encourage) those which make them successful. This one has been on track to be a success so far.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 am 

phoenix wrote:

It certainly became a lot less "home-y," with more contentious people and wayyy less levity. Unlike how this place feels to me.

I once offered the opinion that fresh ingredients in Tuna Noodle Casserole would completely ruin its zen. I had at least 3 posters take me seriously. One wrote a lengthy paragraph extolling the virtues of every fresh ingredient she used in her tuna casserole and two more backed her up and asked for the recipe. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:15 am 

JesBelle wrote:
phoenix wrote:

It certainly became a lot less "home-y," with more contentious people and wayyy less levity. Unlike how this place feels to me.

I once offered the opinion that fresh ingredients in Tuna Noodle Casserole would completely ruin its zen. I had at least 3 posters take me seriously. One wrote a lengthy paragraph extolling the virtues of every fresh ingredient she used in her tuna casserole and two more backed her up and asked for the recipe. :lol:

Exactly what makes us "special".

Too funny!! :lol:

To "friends" however quirky they may be... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:30 pm 

JesBelle wrote:
phoenix wrote:

Jez,

I am so jealous of your successful response to your beloved recipe. Not one person gave me any feedback on my canned cream of asparagus soup, lime jello salad.

cc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:18 pm 

Tim wrote:
JesBelle wrote:
phoenix wrote:

Jez,

I am so jealous of your successful response to your beloved recipe. Not one person gave me any feedback on my canned cream of asparagus soup, lime jello salad.

cc

That's because my recipe calls for cream of celery -- much more goor-may!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:30 pm 

Jes, I have offered many recipes here but mostly elsewhere and it is rare to ever get any feedback, actually I am not sure I ever got any. Even on my Website which has had almost 1000 hits and I think I got one email and Da Bull made a positive statement here. I don't do it for praise there isn't much of that, I do it because I love to pass on a good recipe and hope someone gets a chance to make it. I don't pay attention to all the ancillary stuff that goes on, frankly for the most part I only know of it if someone mentions it.

Thanks,
Barry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:14 pm 

But Tim,

Your homemade cranberry jelly formed in used cat food tons was legendary! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 pm 

OldRelayer wrote:
Jes, I have offered many recipes here but mostly elsewhere and it is rare to ever get any feedback, actually I am not sure I ever got any.

I collect recipes (or links to them). Or just search my favorite forums. I've made recipes many years after they were posted; I think that is probably fairly common. Feedback is pretty rare. I remember I put up a tutorial once (non cooking), lots of pics, something I was proud of. Never heard a peep. Couple of years later at an event, at least a couple of people mentioned they had used my plans and tutorial to build their own and were very happy. I was shocked! I figured it sunk beneath the waves. Most people just aren't that inclined to answer is all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:34 pm 

I think something has been lost in translation. I wasn't complaining about a lack of response to a recipe. I think I may have a handful of recipes I could even call my own to get all angsty over, anyway. Though now that you mention it, I'm shocked and dismayed that no one has told me how amazing my triple ginger biscotti are! I guess I'll just have to go eat a few and tell myself how amazing they are.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:36 pm 

JesBelle wrote:
phoenix wrote:

Oh puleease. I can't even imagine wasting sushi grade ahi tuna, cream and expensive mushrooms on such a casserole, not to mention that it wouldn't be what I was looking for anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love "gourmet" food. Some stuff should not be messed with. :evil:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next