Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cook's Illustrated Board closing.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:57 pm 

I really don't know if I joined post- or pre-clique, since I didn't really notice one forming. There may have been more camaraderie among those who could make the events, but it never seemed unwelcoming. I'm not sure it could with Crystal around.

Anyway, when time got the better of me and I neglected to post for a year or so, it seemed like I came back to a different board. Not only were most of the folks I knew gone or only rarely posting, but the whole atmosphere was unpleasant. When I joined, I was personally welcomed by Crystal (of course) and others. When I came back, noobs were either ignored entirely, belittled, or taken to task for daring to oppose the opinions of "established" members. Really, I could play WoW if I wanted that kind of treatment and I didn't like watching others get subjected to it. I was actually ashamed to be associated with it. I even remember somebody (I don't remember who) saying that they had thought about telling me off, but then they saw that I had joined years before, like it should have mattered. It wasn't really that this person thought I was full of it or not, but that they based their opinion and their behavior on my perceived status on the board that annoyed me. Truthfully, that kind of attitude at least makes sense in a game where one player is looking down on another for having less experience playing that game, but it's impossible to know how much experience is being brought with a new member to a freakin' internet bulletin board.

I suppose CI decided the money was with FB and Twitter, but for a subject this informational, I prefer a bulletin board. I want something with an index so I can see that link to the pan-seasoning site someone posted a year and a half ago, y'know?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:08 pm 

I'm still looking for the "ring" that supposedly has to be kissed in order to fit in around here... :D

So much for sage advice.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:58 pm 

I think I was the last one on TOBB, and here, as well. I went to the meet in Chicago, (what fun!) and intended to meet Mary, in Ithaca, but didn't get that done. If there is a clique, I missed it. There were a lot of people on TOBB I wish were here, or here more often, Alina in particular, but there are others. You have all helped make me a much better cook. I always understood some of you knew each other, but I never felt left out. Just part of life. What will be, will be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:20 pm 

Maybe next time K... I will be in PA in June and, hopefully, there will be no unexpected illnesses this time!

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:59 pm 

Darcie wrote:
Kenw wrote:

I remember spending about 15 minutes with Christopher Kimball and came away thinking that the board was not really top of mind with him.

When did you get to see CK? During the event organization? Or is my memory really that bad? :shock:

It was during the pre-trip. Kate and I were invited to the kitchen before the event. (I believe it was about a month or so before - don't hold me to the timing). We were taken up to the office areas, and I met CK there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:42 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
I'm still looking for the "ring" that supposedly has to be kissed in order to fit in around here... :D

So much for sage advice.... :mrgreen:

If that ring is a doughnut, I'd gladly kiss it :D

The stories of old are interesting to me. I didn't know how much CI had been involved initially in the meet-ups. It seems pretty dumb of them to spurn a devoted group who helps to bring in money by chatting about their recipes and offering ideas given a competitive magazine market. (Of course I am not a big business person, but it seems to make no sense from a business perspective).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:47 pm 

JesBelle wrote:
I really don't know if I joined post- or pre-clique, since I didn't really notice one forming. There may have been more camaraderie among those who could make the events, but it never seemed unwelcoming. I'm not sure it could with Crystal around.

Anyway, when time got the better of me and I neglected to post for a year or so, it seemed like I came back to a different board. Not only were most of the folks I knew gone or only rarely posting, but the whole atmosphere was unpleasant. When I joined, I was personally welcomed by Crystal (of course) and others. When I came back, noobs were either ignored entirely, belittled, or taken to task for daring to oppose the opinions of "established" members. Really, I could play WoW if I wanted that kind of treatment and I didn't like watching others get subjected to it. I was actually ashamed to be associated with it. I even remember somebody (I don't remember who) saying that they had thought about telling me off, but then they saw that I had joined years before, like it should have mattered. It wasn't really that this person thought I was full of it or not, but that they based their opinion and their behavior on my perceived status on the board that annoyed me. Truthfully, that kind of attitude at least makes sense in a game where one player is looking down on another for having less experience playing that game, but it's impossible to know how much experience is being brought with a new member to a freakin' internet bulletin board.

I suppose CI decided the money was with FB and Twitter, but for a subject this informational, I prefer a bulletin board. I want something with an index so I can see that link to the pan-seasoning site someone posted a year and a half ago, y'know?

It certainly became a lot less "home-y," with more contentious people and wayyy less levity. Unlike how this place feels to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:53 am 
Site Admin

phoenix wrote:
The stories of old are interesting to me. I didn't know how much CI had been involved initially in the meet-ups. It seems pretty dumb of them to spurn a devoted group who helps to bring in money by chatting about their recipes and offering ideas given a competitive magazine market. (Of course I am not a big business person, but it seems to make no sense from a business perspective).

Speaking as a contractor with about a hundred business clients: most things which businesses do are either irrelevant or counterproductive to their business model. They survive, or even thrive, because these bad habits are not fatal. Kind of like people.

Also, like some people, some businesses become crochety old coots as they age.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:20 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
phoenix wrote:

Speaking as a contractor with about a hundred business clients: most things which businesses do are either irrelevant or counterproductive to their business model. They survive, or even thrive, because these bad habits are not fatal. Kind of like people.

Also, like some people, some businesses become crochety old coots as they age.

Also speaking as a contractor I have found the very best business tool to be had is relationship based.

Few businesses do business with another business, in "most" cases people do business with people.

CI (and crochety posters) killed / maimed the relationship part of the board. With notable exceptions when "the clique" left TOBB it was left with a lot of folks (AGAIN...WITH NOTABLE EXCEPTIONS) that did not understand the relationship model that had been created and flourished.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 am 

Boy you sure have that right. All the time I frequented CI board I never even gave a clique a thought. I was helped so much by 4 or 5 notable posters that had great advice. I had no idea that CI had any involvement with the board, as they should have, I never saw evidence that anyone from CI ever addressed an issue. All of that aside, I am hoping to go along mindless to such crap and get as much as I can from this forum. Many of the people that were such a big help to me are here now although there are some exceptions. They do seem to be rather rather quiet, it seems a little harder to get advice, I think they are still feeling the place out and don't want to step on any ones toes. If there is a lot of crap going on do me a favor and don't tell me, I am the worlds worst judge of character, I think everyone is telling the truth, I guess you call the gullible. My wife is a very good lie detector and I am amazed on how many times she is right and me I never get it right.

Take care all,
Barry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next