Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cook's Illustrated Board closing.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 pm 

Tim wrote:
Barry,
Wait till you hear about the greetings the group received in Boston. That's a story for Darcie to tell.

cc

I believe it was the last year they even acknowledged us when we had a gathering. We traveled to their fair city, and we did manage to rustle a tour of the test kitchen, but no goodies were provided of the sort that graced previous get-togethers, no sign of his highness or really any of the on-air personalities. We got to "help" do an iced tea tasting (is that correct?). We didn't get any assistance in getting a kitchen space, etc.

The staffer at CI who was in charge of us was quite nice, but the red carpet was not rolled out in anticipation of our arrival. Does that about sum it up? I believe that the Sam Adams brewery was more welcoming, but then again they had a gift store to push us into. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:44 pm 

I think some people who weren't part of the original members of CI can feel a bit "put off" by the closeness of our jokes and friendship. I've been guilty of that, I know.

But. I'll never apologize for telling jokes from that era.

The jokes and times are still funny.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:26 pm 

I very much regret not having been able to travel to any of the meet-ups. I suppose some issue was shyness and the rest was logistics.
I too have very much enjoyed learning and interacting with everyone. And Amy, you have always been so welcoming that I could never fault you for telling old stories.
Nancy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:46 am 

Darcie wrote:
Tim wrote:
Barry,
Wait till you hear about the greetings the group received in Boston. That's a story for Darcie to tell.

cc

I believe it was the last year they even acknowledged us when we had a gathering. We traveled to their fair city, and we did manage to rustle a tour of the test kitchen, but no goodies were provided of the sort that graced previous get-togethers, no sign of his highness or really any of the on-air personalities. We got to "help" do an iced tea tasting (is that correct?). We didn't get any assistance in getting a kitchen space, etc.

The staffer at CI who was in charge of us was quite nice, but the red carpet was not rolled out in anticipation of our arrival. Does that about sum it up? I believe that the Sam Adams brewery was more welcoming, but then again they had a gift store to push us into. :D

Hi All,

I remember that event, as I had an opportunity with our board organizer to do a pre-trip to the kitchen.

It was a mixed experience. I remember spending about 15 minutes with Christopher Kimball and came away thinking that the board was not really top of mind with him. The staff was very friendly. To their credit, at previous book signings at their kitchen, they were very welcoming. Julia Colin Davidson was a joy to meet in person. The only concen that I brought up was the fact that CI did not give any credit to the folks who particpated in the "recipe testing" program. I don't need a personal accolade, but having spent $50 to $75 testing a top loin roast, the least they could have done is to say "thanks to our testers who gave the following feedback....." When I challenged them on that during the actual event. They responded that "it was their recipe". Well, it was my $50.00, and I wish someone would say thanks!

Not withstanding that, the relationships and people that I have met on the board are what the MasterCard commercial would characterize as "priceless". While we lament the demise of the CI board, the legacy of the positive interactions are ones that I would put in the win column. I am glad that folks are still connected.

Anyone say "road trip"? I know a place in TX where you can sleep on a cot and BBQ on a green egg before sunrise :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:32 am 

Kenw wrote:

I remember spending about 15 minutes with Christopher Kimball and came away thinking that the board was not really top of mind with him.

When did you get to see CK? During the event organization? Or is my memory really that bad? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:34 am 

Ken wrote:
Anyone say "road trip"? I know a place in TX where you can sleep on a cot and BBQ on a green egg before sunrise :D
[/quote][/quote]

And smoke cigars while enjoying a Hill Country Sunset, and try to out lie each other!!!!

Phoenix,

Shyness is understandable...face it...meeting up with "internet friends" is just plain weird,(at least is was for me) it could have turned out badly (enter ax murderer here) but it did not.

We were all VERY culturally different but out focus on food and fun bonded us. How some perverted that into a controlling "clique" is beyond me. We (not exclusively) did self-police the board, bone heads were challenged when board protocol was breached; the same thing has and will take place on this board, most successful boards are self-policed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:13 am 

OldRelayer wrote:
Da Bull, your much too kind. I have done so many pizza recipes over the years, I am back to basics, a great crust, Stone cooked, good sauce(al though I am still working on the sauce) and low fat Mozzarella. I spent my very early years on Revera Beach(Named for Paul Revere), a stones throw from the North End of Boston. There were so many of these small pizza places maned by true Italians and I am sure today you could go to the North End and get great pizza. The best pizza I ever had and I have tried in vain to replicate it. I just posted the pizza recipe so it could have some mistakes or omissions, I need to go over it.

http://barrysplace.yolasite.com/cheese-pizza.php
I do hope you make this pizza and let me know how it comes out for you.

Thanks,
Barry

I had a VERY good pizza this past weekend in Gilbert, AZ. http://www.casanovabrospizza.com/ They claim to be the best NY style pizza in AZ. I have no idea what constitutes a good NY pizza (kinda like some folks don't know what constitutes a good bowl of Texas chile) but really liked the sauce, it was mild and did not have the sharp bite so many pizza sauces have, it really complimented the topping without overwhelming them. Most of the time if I order take out here I do so sans sauce.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:21 am 

Like Phoenix I so wish I had made it to one of the gatherings, but a lot of the same reasons (and having toddlers at the time whose daycare cost more than my mortgage :evil: ) made it an impossibility. However I did get to meet Becky when going to Chicago with my hubby (and still tell everyone about the great cafe she brought us to) and Renee and Jenny came to see me in Toronto for a wonderful weekend (all three of us had parents who were a tad worried that we were meeting people we'd met on the internet!). I've slipped off the highway en-route to Boston to see Renee as well.
I didn't get the whole clique thing. I joined TOBB well after you guys had all already bonded and no one ever made me feel like I wasn't welcome. It's all perception I think and some people are just ornery and there's nothing you can do about it. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:24 pm 

Joining TOBB happened when I needed to find an answer to a question I had about a CI recipe. I immediately received a number of thoughtful responses and decided that I should hang around. From the welcome from Crystal to all of the great advice and funny reparte, I really enjoyed it. I never picked up on the "clique" thing and was fortunate enough to meet Amy when she was in town checking out culinary schools....then lucky me, Amy moved here to attend culinary school and I was even able to meet Andy and attend her graduation. Work kept me from attending any of the get togethers, but those who went incuded us in daily reports and photos. TOBB started to not feel much like home any more and I dropped off. When Amy encouraged me to join this board, I was thrilled to find old friends....the same great advice and reparte without all of the egotistical postings.
I really thank Fuzzy for putting this together and Amy for inviting me in. I don't miss TOBB, but am sorry it has come to such a unauspicious ending.
Ilene

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 pm 

I also joined in post clique but have not felt the least bit snubbed. I did get to meet Sabine here in Switzerland and went to Paris and met Kathy and her Pete. I have intended to meet up with some folks in the US but my schedule is usually pretty tight when I am there. Hopefully one day. I also wasn't sure what it would be like meeting up with online people but it is like getting together with old friends. I would love to have a meet up here, I have tons of ideas for you guys.

I also am thankful to Josh for setting this up. It is much better than depending on the largess of others. I guess, for a time, the bb seemed to be good business sense. I guess we wre the buggy whips of the Internet generation.

Mary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next