Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kenji Alt's blog at Serious Eats
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:30 pm 

Amy wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree on the sous vide temp...corned a brisket and did a 140 degree 48 hour cook...twas perfect.

Amy

I don't see how the connective tissue could render at 140. Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:35 pm 

Darcie wrote:
Amy wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree on the sous vide temp...corned a brisket and did a 140 degree 48 hour cook...twas perfect.

Amy

I don't see how the connective tissue could render at 140. Or am I missing something?

I guess we both should buy Modernist Cuisine for the answer. ;)

Amy

P.S. I really don't know why it worked, but it did. Following my success with corned beef we tried a non-corned brisket at work at exactly the same time/temp. Marvelous...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:09 pm 

A fun blog AND a tutorial in yiddish. Oy.

Post subject: Kenji Alt's blog at Serious Eats - Steak and Feijoada
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:50 am 

Hi,

Kenji is back from vacation, celebrating Dumpling's birthday and offering two stories on Serious Eats.com.

His take on steak is well thought out with an interesting perspective on salting, pre-warming, flipping and cut-and-peek. He doesn't consider dry aging.

He brought a recipe for feijoada back from Brazil. I have wanted to do this dish for years but Lib won't allow me to serve it to friends. She thinks I'll spill the beans about the ingredients; of course I would. I can get the ingredients at Peoria Packing and I'm now stoked up to go ahead. An expertise in the house.

CC

ps: The following quote from Kenji's article is compelling enticement to try the dish. ...the often off-putting gelatinous or cartilaginous texture of offal breaks down as those random a**holes and elbows melt into the rich, salty broth. How about you, Fuzzy? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:23 am 

Tim,

I've made fejoida before. One of the more decadent dishes I've made. I too fell in love with it when i was in Brazil.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:52 am 

Amy wrote:
P.S. I really don't know why it worked, but it did. Following my success with corned beef we tried a non-corned brisket at work at exactly the same time/temp. Marvelous...

No reason it shouldn't work. Connective tissue starts breaking down at quite low temps, just very slowly. Anyone who has done a 48 hour steak @ 140 can easily show it. I'm not sure why he started at a relatively high (for red meat) temperature of 160. I do confit at those temperatures, but have never done red meat at those temps. I'm curious to try now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:03 am 

Tim,

Thanks for the heads-up on Kenji's new articles. Given the ingredient list, I can see why Lib might have second thoughts about serviing feijoda to unsuspecting guests!

BTW, is there any trick on keeping up with Kenji's articles (i.e. subscribing to him via Serious Eats; getting a google alert) or is it just a matter of reviewing the most recent edition of Serious Eats and seeing whether he has contributed something.?

Gerard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:38 am 

Gerard,

Scroll down to the bottom of the seriouseats.com homepage and you'll see subscription options.

Amy

Post subject: Re: Kenji Alt's blog at Serious Eats - Steak and Feijoada
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Tim wrote:
The following quote from Kenji's article is compelling enticement to try the dish. ...the often off-putting gelatinous or cartilaginous texture of offal breaks down as those random a**holes and elbows melt into the rich, salty broth. How about you, Fuzzy? :roll:

I've had Feijoada in Brazil, of course. I pretty much have to stop being a veg in southern Brazil; they eat more meat down there than Texans do. Hmmm, think I have a picture:

That's the finished Feijoada. It had been on the stove for 3 hours, I think.

Here's some over rice on a plate:

It was pretty tasty, despite the amount of meat involved. Personally, I don't dislike organ meats any more than I do regular meat. It's all meat, as far as I'm concerned. It's on the plate with farofa, sauteed collard greens, and a tomato salad.

Oh, this Feijoada was prepared by Ricardo and his wife, whom I met as the friend of a friend and brought us home for a huge feast despite not really knowing us personally. Brazillians are an incredibly friendly and warm people, I love visiting them. Here they are:

Oh, here's the steak, too:

And Ricardo made caiprinhas, of course. Served in Spider-man tumblers!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:46 pm 

Hi,

I finally had the opportunity to make Kenjoi's feijoada and was not blown away. I may have missed the boat with some of the ingredients and would appreciate your advice. In short, the stew was a little bland, maybe not surprising given the lack of seasoning in the recipes. I was expecting a meatier version of cuban black bean soup.

I used carne seca as a stand in for carne de sol and this was not the best choice. I now have a simple recipe for carne de sol that is easy and provides the large pieces of sirloin as pictured by Josh.

I purchased sausage from a new Brazilian grocery in Chicago. They gave me two kinds of sausage including a mild kielbasa style and a wonderful Piaia, very much like a Portuguese chourico. The problem is that the flavor was gone after 7 hours of simmering.

The faroafa was wonderful with the stew and orange slices are a perfect garnish.

I'm tempted to make a Norman Van Aken style bean pack to kick up the flavor in feijoada but this may be taking the dish in a new direction. The carne de sol will help and I will increase the chourico and hold it for the first four hours of cooking.

I'd appreciate your thoughts! I mean Amy, Josh and any other brave souls.

Tim

ps: I did lack the a** holes and elbows but subbed fresh skin on pork shanks!