Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diabetes
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:30 pm 

My grand-nephew was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes on Monday the 22. He is 5 and the Doctors don't think they will be able to control it with diet or oral drugs.

His mother is an archivist so she probably knows a lot about it by now, but diet is new territory. We have sent her a couple of cookbooks for this disease, but nobody in either Virginia's family or mine knows anything about the diet. There simply has never been anyone who had it.

If anyone has useful recipes or links, I'll be pointing her to this blog.

Post subject: Re: Diabetes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:57 am 

The best referral I can make is to http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/. They have a very active online community forum and I would suggest his parents will need to dig deep and keep digging to figure out how to manage this disease. It's a tough one, a big balancing act that is always ready to shoot out of control in one direction or another at the least provocation. It's an ongoing education about how to intricately balance multiple everchanging aspects of life.

It's not the same but it's similar in some ways - I had a diabetic cat which, like a small child, could not tell me anything about his symptoms. So I had to learn a lot to figure out how to manage it for him. This juvenile diabetes website was helpful many times in my quest to understand my cat's issues - very good explanations of the processes involved - although there are online resources for people with "sugar" cats and dogs that are obviously more specific to pets.

What I've found is that doctors, including vets, don't really have a huge clue about how to manage nutrition or diabetes -- they just expect the patient to figure it out or, worse, to follow some rote canned "plan" approach which does not work for everyone because everyone is not the same (duh!). There is a lot to figure out. My sister and her two kids have type 2 and they would concur with this assessment about doctors and the "education" offered to new diabetics -- it's very lacking.

Also I just read recent medical research indicates that early intervention with insulin -- and NOT first trying to control it with diet or oral meds -- is now proven to be the best approach and at times they can even reverse it and cause diabetes to go away! So make sure to share that info -- I'm sure not all docs even know as it's quite a recent study result. I do not recall if that study was for type 1 or type 2 though....

Good luck to them.

Post subject: Re: Diabetes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:15 am 

Well he doesn't like the shots, but with them come between meal snacks so at five he apparently figures he is getting the better of the bargin. They are spending New Year's at her parents, Xmas had been planned but I think the boy got out of the hospital that day. And the grandmother is without question of the 'One won't hurt, what does the Doctor know' and the mother is afraid the grandmother will sneak him food.