Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wierd digestive problems
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

So, to keep this thread from being totally TMI, before I get into other stuff, lemme throw it open for everyone else: do you have an unusual food which your body just won't let you eat? Onions, peppers, seafood, beans and dairy are pretty normal things not to be able to stomach, but some folks have issues with food you'd think was totally innocuous. See the "cornbread without oil" thread earlier this week, and a friend of mine has an allergy to some random protein in milk which is present in some cheese but not in others (he now has a chart on his fridge tracking this).

The reason I'm thinking about this is that over the last few years, I seem to have developed a problem digesting rice. Nothing too bad, just makes me "urpy", but bizarre because nobody else has this. Doctors perscribe rice to patients with intestinal problems; there's not even a word for rice intolerance.

It also really annoys me because I really like rice.

Anyway, what's your wierd food issue? Or the strangest one you've had to deal with?

Post subject: Re: Wierd digestive problems
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:34 am 

I have a serious gluten intolerance and am on a forum with people with many different food intolerances. There are some there who can't tolerate rice. There are foods that don't seem to "agree" with me that I still eat like bananas and green peppers. Another odd one I've noticed lately is smoked food. Deb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:50 am 

Fuzzy, having digestive issues with rice would be a real bummer for me; I've been know to cook rice three times in a week because I love it so much.
There are digestive aids available that might help(?) I use Culturelle, after trying many others first.
I hope you can find something that well cure the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:01 am 

I would be sad not to be able to digest rice. We eat a lot of rice! For myself, I am very lactose intolerant, and it is getting worse as time goes on. I used to be able to stomach a slice of cheese on a sandwich or a small yogurt, but both of those now require a pill to digest without problems.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:49 pm 

Sesame seeds, as I've mentioned before. I can't eat them whole or ground, but I seem to be fine with toasted sesame oil.

I suspect that high doses of HFCS may be a factor in the couple of bouts of gastroparesis I've suffered, but it's hard to say. I tend to drink more pop when I am very busy and stressed so it may be a case of correlation rather than causation. Still, the gastroenterologist mentioned it and I still tend to avoid it as much as possible.

But I think the weirdest is that I can't eat Beano. I throw it right back up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:25 pm 

Sometimes when I eat smoked foods smoked with certain woods, it really doesn't agree with me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:45 pm 

Raw kale. Plus some problems with other raw cruciferous vegetables. I juiced kale one time, and I thought it might kill me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:13 pm 

Fuzzy,

Is it all rices, or more certain varieties? I once knew somebody with this problem, and jasmine rice bothered her less than most, and sticky rice even less, probably because of the lower amount of protein, and higher starch content of those types.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:11 pm 

I would agree with Dave, in observing if a type of rice is a bigger problem. Brown rice would give more fiber but is that really a significant amount? Or can it be a combination of rice & foods at the same meal.

Nothing makes me urpy in excess but simple things like large shredded wheat biscuits & milk will do their part, also broccoli & cucumbers. Not at the same meal.
It's a bother, but doesn't interfere in my life.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Dave,

So far, I've confirmed that I have this issue with sticky rice, arborio, and Calfornia long grain. Not sure about brown.