Post subject: On Expiration
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Argument: http://time.com/103157/food-expiration-dates/

Counter-Argument: http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes ... 3kknqaxa0w

... so, when do you throw stuff out?

Post subject: Re: On Expiration
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:28 pm 

I rarely use anything past the expiration date......but, 30 in a hospital laboratory has not helped my paranoia..... :twisted:

Karen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:21 am 

Working in Antarctica, we used just about anything if it was still frozen and well sealed. We did skip the hot dogs from the seventies someone found.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:36 am 

Amelia's Grocery around here specializes in close-dated and post-dated products. They only thing they won't sell post-dated is dairy, because of state law.

I have a sensitive palate for fats that have turned, so whole grain products (crackers, chips, etc.) don't go very far beyond the freshness date without tasting off to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:46 am 

I will use yogurt a few days past the expiration date as well as cream. Dry products such as crackers/cookies I'll try up to a month later but that's about it. I have teenage boys, nothing usually gets to past the expiration here unless it was put away in the wrong cupobard. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:55 am 

One of my clients used to be a large food bank, and their rule was that anything canned is good for a minimum of one year past the date on the can, and in some cases up to 2 years was fine. As far as fresh food, I definitely stretch it. My family is famous for grabbing the newer milk jug in the outside fridge instead of looking to see which one is oldest, so we've used milk 4 or 5 days past the date on the jug and it's been fine. And I do the same with cream and much longer with buttermilk. Same for meat -- I go up to several days past the date on the package and we've never gotten sick. Guess I should knock on some wood now though...

Emilie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:14 am 

I too use foods past the expiration date. Many product have a best by date, rather than a you'll get sick if you eat this past date. I routinely use yogurt, sour cream and buttermilk past dates, especially if unopened. I food saver dry foods, so often they are past the date. Obviously if there is mold, odor, film or other sign of spoilage I toss it. For canned goods, if the can is in good shape I'll try it. If it is dented even if new, I won't eat it.

I wish fruits and veggies had a best by date. Had a Haas avocado the other day that was still green, not super soft and looked ok, but tasted so bad I had to spit it out. I've had bad ones or bad parts, but have never like this.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:23 am 

Crap that my husband brings home that neither of us actually wants to eat is gone on the day it finally hits its expy. Cultured dairy gets tossed when the cultures die. I've eaten yogurt and buttermilk months past the date on the package. Right now, I'm doing a running bottle of buttermilk -- just putting in more low-fat milk when it gets low and letting it sit out overnight. Actually, I prefer yogurt that is nice and ripe. Freezer stuff gets tossed if it is freezer-burned, regardless of the date. Wrinkly apples, shriveled limes? If there's no mold, I'm cool with it. Given the way I shop, though, very few things even get within shouting distance of the expiration.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:22 pm 

I made some Haystacks a couple of weeks ago with some Butterscotch chips that I had in my cupboard. After they were made and I was throwing away the bag, I happened to notice the date on the bag was 2007. I guess Butterscotch chips don't spoil, because the Haystacks were fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:06 pm 

I made some homemade Crème fraîche a while back when we were talking about how long it would last. I've not checked it in the last couple of weeks since I'm in Boston (Newton really), but it was fine last time I checked it. Its been months. No mold whatsoever and tasted the same. Have it in one of those glass French jars with the rubber.