Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nightmare Ingredients -
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:23 pm 

My supermarket did a demo of this a few weeks back, pasta with chicken and peas and one of these sauces. Didn't taste at all bad to me.
fitzie

Last edited by fitzie on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:58 am 

We have something that seems to be like this stuff, called "sauce cream". It is half fat cream that has been stabilized so it can be heated. I quite like it as I sometimes find full cream will take over a dish when this will keep it more balanced, plus there is a bit less fat, although it probably wouldn't go on anyone's health food list. i have also used a vegetable based thing that has even less fat and that is pretty good too. I try to keep processed foods at a minimum but am OK with this one.

Mary

Just looked at both ingredients, mine has no salt or flavorings.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:41 am 

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to recommend this stuff. Or make a judgement on its taste, since I haven't tried it and it is unlikely I will see it on a shelf here in the hinterlands of the Philippines anytime soon. I should go find one of the bottles or jars of something they make here, since price drives *everything* in the Philippines, quality is not a secondary consideration.

I had a chef instructor at the cooking school I attended part time who used to work (in charge of the pastry section) at the Mark Hopkins Hotel in San Francisco. When he taught us ice cream, his approach was much like Tim's. The fewer ingredients the better. A long list of ingredients meant it was "industrialized". I have been reading labels ever since.

Here is a C&P from a website talking about some of the stuff found in *some* commercial ice creams:

DIETHYLGLYCOL: A cheap chemical used as an emulsifier instead of eggs is the same chemical used in antifreeze and in paint removers.

PIPERONAL: Used in place of vanilla. This chemical is used to kill lice.

ALDEHYDE C-17: Used to flavor cherry ice cream. It is an inflammable liquid also used in aniline dyes, plastic and rubber.

ETHYL ACETATE: Used to give a pineapple flavor—and as a cleaner for leather and textiles; its vapors have been known to cause chronic lung, liver and heart damage.

BUTYRALDEHYDE: Used in nut flavoring. It is one of the ingredients of rubber cement.

AMYL ACETATE: Used for its banana flavor. It is also used as an oil paint solvent.

BENZYL ACETATE: Used for its strawberry flavor. It is a nitrate solvent. The next time you are tempted by a luscious looking banana split sundae, think of it as a mixture of antifreeze, oil paint, nitrate solvent, and lice killer; and you won’t find it so appetizing.Price-Pottenger Nutrition foundation Health Journal

All that said, I refer to the post about not trusting food studies over much. But I do agree with Tim that more natural and simpler, less processed ingredients are far preferable.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah ... my attitude is: eat the real stuff, just eat less of it. One of the issues with "low-fat" fakes is that they have so little flavor, you eat 2-4 times as much ... which kinda contradicts the point.

For cream cheese, for example, I constantly see folks downtown putting a 2oz slab of cream cheese on each bagel half. Gah!

Look, just use real cultured cream cheese (Nancy's is good, or anything with a label in Russian), and 1/2 oz of cheese per half bagel, and spread it around with a knife. Trust me, that's plenty for you to taste it, and enough to get the capers to stick.

As for cream sauces, I mostly don't do them. I find that, in general, a good slow-cooked tomato sauce, a real pesto, or a little bit of browned butter is better than most cream sauces, and a fraction of the calories.