Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooking software
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:32 am 

Does anyone use cooking software, and if so what? I got LC, but it is really tough to use. The inventory part is just impossible, plus it came with lots of recipes with Campbell's soup. Any one got another recommendation and hopefully one that will sync with the Droid.

Post subject: Re: Cooking software
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:26 pm 

Sorry, I've got LC, too. I did totally dump all the recipes that came with it, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:09 pm 

I'm also looking for new software. I know Alina swears by LC but I've been hesitant about getting it. I'm glad you posted about your experience K. I have an old version of Mastercook but if I upgrade my computer I'll need to find a replacement too, I'm afraid. I periodically back it up by saving in Word and storing on both the computer and my external hard drive. But there must be a better way!
Nance

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:50 pm 

I love LC.

I don't use the inventory - it looks like a LOT of work just to keep up with what I have in my fridge. Since there are only 2 of us and I am the only one cooking, it's not necessary. It's almost Rube Goldbergesque for me to use software to tell me I'm out of milk.

Like JesBelle, I dumped all of their cookbooks as soon as I got it. I removed a lot of their ingredients, as well. There are a lot of packaged foods I'm never going to use.

I'm not nearly as versed in it as Alina, but I do like the parts I use.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:16 pm 

It is really useful for tracking costs, but it did take awhile to get it set up to do so. I don't use the inventory, either, but I am tempted to take the time and set that up, also. It seems like every time I make the grocery list I end up going all the way out to the kitchen about 20 times to see if we have enough whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:44 pm 

You guys are so ahead of me. I don't even know what a droid is. Please don't hate me! :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:03 pm 

Quote:
what a droid is
It's a smartphone - like Pete's Iphone or Crackberry (can't remember) And we would never hate you :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:34 pm 

Kathy Henry wrote:
You guys are so ahead of me. I don't even know what a droid is. Please don't hate me! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hate isn't a verb on this BB Kathy!!! No matter what. We're good like that, you should know by now.

And thanks again Josh for making this new nest for us. I don't post much 'cause I don't have alot to say, but I lurk 'cause I love the vibe here. Really nice. Good karma.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:50 am 
Site Admin

All,

Amusingly for a guy who works in high-tech, I try to use the least technology I can get away with for cooking. In general, I find that kitchens and computers don't mix.

We have an extensive family cookbook ... as an OpenOffice document. When I want to carry a copy of a recipe with me, I post it as a note to Catch.com, which syncs to my phone via AK Notepad. The latter is a fairly recent development, too.

Back in the Windows 3.1 days, I helped beta-test MasterCook 1.0. In general, I've found that all the cooking/recipe/inventory programs are just way too fussy to type stuff in; you have to keep switching from the keyboard to the mouse and they are slooooooow. If I can't type 100WPM, I can't be bothered.

Oh, the other app which has come in handy for cooking is Kitchen Timer. Of the 100 or so timer apps available, it's the only one with a triple-timer which is nevertheless easy to set. It's even open source (although you should donate anyway, it's a really good app).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:51 am 

I use the Macgourmet software and like it but I honestly just put recipes in and never use the shopping lists or wine lists or whatever else there is in there. It is enough for me. I also got the app Due for my iphone and use that quite often. It is a reminder app. You can set as many timers as you want with it.

Mary