Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: colored eggs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:38 am 

Mary,
Is this true???? :o

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/supermarkets/look-colored-eggs-in-swiss-supermarket-129713

Nancy

Post subject: Re: colored eggs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:12 am 

I'm always wondering about the eggs at room temp, as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:35 pm 

When my Mom knows she will bake a cake the next day she sets her eggs out on the counter the night before. I have read that they do not need refridgeration if they are used in a couple weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:42 pm 

It is so true that I have a few in my fridge now (how lazy am I, not wanting to boil an egg???). At Easter there are even MORE colored eggs, plus large bags of onion skins for coloring your own. I think they are colored to be able to tell them apart from the raw ones. At smaller shops you can even buy them on at a time. I heard, but don't quote me, that eggs in the US need refrigeration as they have been cleaned in such a way that they have lost some protective coating. I was kind of shocked to see eggs on the shelf when I first came here but am now used to it and the colored ones as well.

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:27 pm 

When I was a kid, we used to go to one of my Grandma's friend's house, whom we called Aunt Maggie. Aunt Maggie was about 80+ years old back in the late 60's and early 70's. Not very old by today's standards, but back then we thought she probably came over on the Mayflower. Aunt Maggie lived on a farm in an old farmhouse that was ready to fall in around her. She had a chicken coop out back and when we would go visit, I would go out to the coop and bring in whatever eggs were to be found. They never went into the Icebox, they were set in a bowl with eggs from previous days. I'm pretty sure she lived into her 90's eating those unrefrigerated eggs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:21 pm 

Quiet Friday and plenty of time to google:

Quote:
The difference in standards is partly cultural, says Thesmar, dating from a time when home refrigerators were less common. It’s also partly geographic: Small countries where eggs might only take a day or two to get to market may allow them to be sold unrefrigerated.

In America, egg supply is regional. For instance, California consumes more eggs than it produces, so its eggs may have to travel a longer distance to market. Other states have no egg production at all.

“The bottom line is shelf life,” she says. “The shelf life for an unrefrigerated egg is 7 to 10 days and for refrigerated, it’s 30 to 45 days. A good rule of thumb is one day at room temperature is equal to one week under refrigeration.”

And there you go!

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:22 pm 

All good info to have! Thanks for doing the leg work or should I say finger work Mary.

Laurie