Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fighting mint rust
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Leena, Dave,

Can you post formulas (quantities) for these antifungal mixes?

The reason I can't grow tarragon outside is aphids and earwigs, not fungus.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:23 pm 

Fuzzy,

The mix I make is 1/4 c light oil + 1 tb sodium or potassium bicarbonate dissolved in 1 gal water, plus a tsp of dish detergent, or 1/4 tsp ThermX 70, to emulsify the mix. This works on some tomato diseases, and rust and powdery mildew on many plants.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:08 pm 

When I make an essential oil spray, I use a mini plastic sprayer bottle like those that come with hair spray in them (could also use a big trigger type that are commonly available at the pharmacy departments at Target, etc.), fill with tap water (6-8 oz) and add somewhere between 20-60 drops of essential oils. You can mix any type of oils in any proportion. Tea tree is supposed to be the strongest for antifungal, so perhaps 40 tea tree, 20 lavender. The plastic will distort shape over time due to strong terpenes and other compounds.

When you apply this, you just must shake it thoroughly (oil and water) and keep re-shaking as you apply. You could also add 1/2 tsp mild dishwashing soap (palmolive, dawn, ivory - no bleach or additives) or a tablespoon of lecithin. This will help to emulsify so you don't have to shake as much. Apply all over, underside and top, of leaves and stems daily and you should see improvement.

These oils do not appear to be oily and in fact will soak right into your skin. Do not apply more than 20 drops to your skin at one time - it is strong stuff and is processed out by the liver. More is not better, common for newbies to use more as our society programs us to overconsume.

The essential oils can be purchased at Whole Foods or other healthfood stores. Do not purchase unless it says PURE ESSENTIAL OIL as many have been premixed with vegetable oils and you want pure as it's MUCH stronger. Do not purchase from a store where all oils are the same price - dead giveaway that they are probably low quality or even "enhanced" with cheap synthetics and are not natural at all. Each different oil should be a slightly different price based on market which fluctuates widely.

Lavender is WONDERFUL to scent home (soaked cotton balls placed here and there), laundry (few drops in rinse water), linens, bath (10-15 drops in tub of warm water). It can also be used to make facial/body spritzers (8oz water 10-15 drops lavender, NO dishwashing soap but you can use lecithin in this one, shake, spritz) that will cool and calm you. Lavender has been studied and shown to increase the alpha waves in the brain which induce relaxation, balance facial oils, reduce inflammation as well as fight bacteria and fungus and generally refresh/calm you. Lavender is a pleasant unisex type scent, so very useful to use up the rest of the bottle of oil. When I want to unwind and relax, I put 2 drops lavender into my palm, vigorously rub the palms together to atomize the oil via body heat, cup my hands to my face and breathe deeply several times over 10 minutes or so until scent dissipates. You can do the same with a sprig of fresh rosemary but it will INVIGORATE, not calm as it has stimulating properties and induces more beta brain waves. The oils in the plant are easy to release this way.... essential oils/aromatherapy is fascinating and much overlooked as the US market has trained consumers it's about smelling pretty - it's not, it's about the medicinal and other properties of pure essential oils (not man made fragrance chemicals), pure natural scent is just the bonus.

Tea Tree is medicinal, so not so pleasant a scent. But it is supposed to be the best oil for antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal activity. You can mix tea tree and lavender and keep in small vials to use instead of antibiotic ointment - I have for years. Just put a drop or two on the wound, let dry awhile and bandage. Australian soldiers carried tea tree for treatment in the field in the days of old apparently very effectively. There have been studies that people who applied this oil to a surgical site for a week b4 surgery had fewer infections post-surgery - non-pro studies though so... This oil is also very touted for use on athlete's foot/jock itch - both fungal problems, as a foot bath and when mixed into plain vegetable oil based unscented lotion (Trader Joes used to have a good version of these unscented body products). You can put any essential oil you like into these unscented products and get both scent and the other good properties you desire.

OK long winded, hope that helps and inspires some to try essential oils - just don't over do them!

One more footnote, if anyone is interested, I can offer links to REAL aromatherapist authors that are safe to study. Unfortunately in our stupid market of smelly-good chemical products heavily promoted by mega-conglomerates we have all kinds of yahoos touting stuff they know nothing about which can lead to unsafe advice. There are a few classic scholars on this that can be trusted to fully inform.