Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Afternoon Baptism
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:18 am 

Good day, folks :)

Donna and I are having our four-year-old daughter re-baptized on January 25 with a small celebration to follow at our home. By the time we get here, it will probably be about 2:30 in the afternoon ... too late for lunch and too early for dinner. And the list of guests will also be small, probably about 14-16 people in attendance.

The only thing I know I'm doing for sure is making a cross cake. Other than that, I've been dithering back and forth about what to do since this will be held in mid-afternoon. Do I have a dessert buffet with the cake as the centerpiece? Do I have a light appetizer buffet with just the cake as dessert? Do I make sandwich platters? The mind boggles.

It needs to be economical since I am on a very tight budget and, if I'm going to offer something other than dessert, I need some vegetarian offerings to accommodate two of my friends. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Afternoon Baptism
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 am 

I would do a light appetizer buffet with the cake as the centerpiece. I might do something like,

deviled eggs
hummus
roasted vegis
Ina Garten's parm croutons (I do these for every occasion and people gobble them up)
cheese plate
smoked salmon or gravlax
fruit
cake
ice cream

I would also do one other meat/chicken/seafood thing, but then again I always overdo the food. Or, maybe you need something that kids will eat - I'm not much good there. Cocktail meatballs maybe? Not very sophisticated, but tasty.

Sounds like fun, Tiffany. Take some pics for us.

trink.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:05 am 

I agree with Trinket. My SIL recently had an afternoon dessert party and it was good (all adults) but everyone was craving some protein. There were bowls of nuts and fruit plates but when she served the cheese towards the end of the party - whoosh, you would think there wasn't any food served at all! All nuts, fruit and cheeses were wiped out and there were a lot of desserts leftover. So I would keep the focus on the cake and offer small, easy finger foods like Trink suggested.
Nancy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 am 

I agree on the light tapas type of things, Trinket has good ideas.

You could also think about adding some smoked salmon or shrimp to deviled eggs. Or shrimp salad in lettuce wraps. Or muffuletta - the ultimate in good at room temperature sandwiches. You can cut these very small and hold together with toothpicks (we do a platter for an annual mardi gras party). Another thing that seems elegant if done right are sectioned oranges if you can get really good ones.

And then there is the old standby the artichoke dip. Add crab or shrimp at the end, when it's out of the oven. Serve with Ina's crostini (baguette sliced super thin, brushed with oo, sprinkled lightly with salt and parm, browned at 400). They are always gobbled up like crazy here.

What does your daughter like?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:07 am 

These are some great ideas so far :)

My daughter is a good eater, thank goodness. She has her likes and dislikes, but overall she eats a wide range and variety of food. Her favorite vegetable is broccoli, of all things.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:05 am 

Since they probably won't be there for very long, I'd stick with dessert. Maybe a tray of cookies with your cake? Some nice teas and coffee. No fuss for the hostess.
Fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:48 am 

I just had another thought, why not pattern it after an Afternoon Tea, english style. Since the little girls will be dressed up already. You could have a little adorable cucumber sandwiches, tea, punch, and your beautiful cake.

eb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:51 am 

easy bake wrote:
I just had another thought, why not pattern it after an Afternoon Tea, english style. Since the little girls will be dressed up already. You could have a little adorable cucumber sandwiches, tea, punch, and your beautiful cake.

eb

Puhleeze..."little adorable cucumber sandwiches??"

Nothing sez Baptism like a good bowl of chili!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:47 am 

Da Bull Man wrote:
Nothing sez Baptism like a good bowl of chili!!!

Baptism of fire, maybe :lol:

I dream a dream of home...Where there’s coffee on the table...And kindness in your hand- Lyle Lovett

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:30 pm 

Lynn - what a charming idea. I've looked for an excuse for a long time to do a formal "tea" and this might be the perfect reason.

Frank - I think I'll save the chili for Super Bowl Sunday, LOL.