Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Totally OT - Sherlock Holmes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:13 pm 

This was our movie weekend - it looked like so many good movies from which to choose. Yesterday we saw "Up In the Air," which was good but a little sad. So today, we decided to see "Sherlock Holmes"; DH and I are both fans. I've read all of the books, and loved the old b/w movies with Basil Rathbone. We also love the PBS series. And I love Robert Downey Jr. What could go wrong?

I was speechless. Guy Ritchie and Madonna deserved each other. For those of the more mature of us; remember "The Wild, Wild West?" It met a Jackie Chan movie. For over two hours.

Did anyone see anything good they would like to recommend?

Post subject: Re: Totally OT - Sherlock Holmes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:51 am 
Site Admin

KSS,

I can't tell whether you liked the movie or you hated it. Really. :?:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:33 am 

Sorry - late at night. Left the sentence "I cannot tell you how much I hated this movie" out. :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:01 am 

Wow. I liked the movie. Of course, I knew what to expect from Guy Ritchie, and I like Wild, Wild West and Jackie Chan...

This was the first movie I've seen in a year, though, so perhaps someone else with more experience can weigh in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:45 pm 

What I liked about the actual Sherlock Holmes, was that he was non-violent; he used his intellect and observation to solve the mystery, not brutality.

DD loved it. I was just expecting something else. And I, too, liked The Wild Wild West, and Jackie Chan (Shanghai Noon was particularly hilarious IMO), and Robert Downy Jr. is in one my favorite movies (Renassaince -sp?), but.....

Next: "It's Complicated."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:16 pm 

KSyrahSyrah wrote:
What I liked about the actual Sherlock Holmes, was that he was non-violent; he used his intellect and observation to solve the mystery, not brutality.

DD loved it. I was just expecting something else. And I, too, liked The Wild Wild West, and Jackie Chan (Shanghai Noon was particularly hilarious IMO), and Robert Downy Jr. is in one my favorite movies (Renassaince -sp?), but.....

Next: "It's Complicated."

I think the "brutality" part of it was pure Guy Ritchie, but the later Sherlock Holmes stories involved quite a bit of outside the law activity, which I think Guy took a few liberties with. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, in his later years, became quite disgusted with what he perceived to be the sluggishness of justice and ineptitude of law enforcement, and so the later Holmes adventures offered quite a bit of reprehensible action by Holmes - such as not providing police the name of a killer because he felt the killing was justified. And, in the book I am re-reading right now, he does tell Watson to bring his revolver, AND he stages a fight as a distraction to gain entry into Irene Adler's home. So while the fight sequences were over the top, I don't think they were totally out of character. Besides, how else were we going to get Robert Downey Jr.'s top off? LOL :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:22 pm 

Thanks for the insight!! Which one are you reading? The first S/H I read was "The Hound of the Baskervilles" in 5th grade. This was during the Pliestoscene era. (I know fershure I spelled that wrong.)

My guys love Guy Ritchie movies. I don't get them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:17 am 

KSyrahSyrah wrote:
Thanks for the insight!! Which one are you reading? The first S/H I read was "The Hound of the Baskervilles" in 5th grade. This was during the Pliestoscene era. (I know fershure I spelled that wrong.)

My guys love Guy Ritchie movies. I don't get them.

I am on the fence about Guy Ritchie movies. Some I like but not all.

I am reading a few compilations - it's all they had at the local library. The stories seem to be out of sequence, but I can't say for certain. I haven't read any of these for 20+ years either, but they are still entertaining, if a bit simple.