Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm sorry but, I just don't eat...(insert your main course!)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:28 pm 

It's even worse with your family; OK, I mean my family!

I love lamb almost as much as goat. I love goose but not as much as duck. I love rabbit, even more than partridge. I love monkfish but not as much as skate wing. I love veal even more than poussin. I love suckling pig every bit as much as fresh pork belly. I love foie gras more than truffled veal pate. I love sweet breads equally as much as veal liver. I love lobster almost as much as crayfish.

But more than these, I love my four daughter's in law and I must love the three of them that don't eat any of these fine foods even more than the one who will eat them all. The proof is that I never serve any of them the offending foods. I am so bored with chicken and steak.

This holiday, I will serve the nicest ham from a town off 100 people in southern Illinois. It is not spiral cut and it is not at all injected (that's a rare combination) but more importantly it is smoked over real wood, not liquid smoke. I will also go to some awful grocery store to buy a thick slice of turkey or chicken ham for my daughter in law; I decided that she will suffer without her usual well done (that's another story) strip steak.

I really love my family and already have plans for my 4 month old grandson. He will soon expand his culinary experience beyond Momma's milk and I have to choose what I should serve him; which of my favorites will preserve the experience after being ground and pummeled? Can I do this on my own or just fess up and ask his Mom to feed him this pureed monkfish liver?

Am I the only one who suffers all of this familial love? What is your story?

Tim

Post subject: Re: I'm sorry but, I just don't eat...(insert your main course!)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:32 pm 

Not at all. And I am among the worst offenders.

I've never tasted goat, goose, duck, rabbit, partridge, monkfish, skate wing, poussin, fresh pork belly, truffled veal pate, sweet breads, or veal liver. At 70 yrs I doubt I ever will. Wouldn't know where to find most.

But I do wonderful gratins and lovely pies. And we'll feast on roast turkey and all the usuals this year and be grateful that we've all made it another year. And that to me will be the best treat of all.

Fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:58 pm 

My oldest daughter has some strict rules but my father tops them all. He basically only likes what he has trained my mother to cook. Just have to grin and bear it and save the truffles for another time. There is still hope for the next generation.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:37 pm 

My father only really likes red meat (and occasionally pork) and potatoes. He will venture out to try exotic things like spaghetti and meatballs or tacos, but that is the absolute limit! Since he grew up in a family that couldn't afford meat but raised chickens, he hates chicken and pretty much refuses to eat it. There isn't a lot of fancy cooking at my parent's house.

My mom, OTOH, would be willing to try just about anything. My brothers are somewhere in between. I usually just make really good versions of familiar food they will gladly eat, and we are all happy.

I have eaten sweetbreads (so-so) and I like duck, foie gras and pork belly, but haven't had goat, partridge, skate wing, truffled veal pate or veal liver. And I probably won't, but that's ok. Also, I do not like beef liver. The smell of it cooking is enough to make me gag. That's about the only thing I won't eat, though!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 pm 

Sigh.

I only wish that I was with the whole big kooky family on the holidays to spar over food irregularities and preferences.

(I know Trinket, I can hear you say "well just come then or shut up").

She already tried to lure me in with the layered lemon lime jello notification.

eb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:17 pm 

easy bake wrote:
Sigh.
... layered lemon lime jello notification.
eb

Hi,

Let me guess. Trinket will be serving Campbell's canned cream of asparagus/celery soup layered with green Jello, cream cheese, and topped with Durkee's canned fried onion rings.

That would best be served with fried beef liver slices provided by Darcie. I'd also suggest some of Wisconsin's finest, well-aged Liederkrantz. I'm thinking that canned smoked herring and lutefisk would be gilding the lilly. Isn't it wonderful that so many of us are within striking distance of the Twin Cities.

One plate would be the functional opposite (ie: end) of a colonic irrigation.

Tim

ps: My Grandfather also slaughtered the Sunday chicken, but would never eat it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:18 pm 

No, it's a light and refreshing lemony layered thing with jello and whipped cream and pineapple and celery. Just like our Grandma made.

We might be a kooky family, but not so bad to succumb to the cream of mushroom soup bean casserole.

In closing, thank you for the reminder on Lutefisk. The one thing I really really don't want to eat is Lutefisk. Being a good Luthern kid from Minnesota, the same demure Grandma that made the popovers and wonderful lemony jello also exposed us to the smell of Lutefisk cooking. I remember hiding at the other end of the house with towels jammed under the door to keep the smell out. No amount of family kumbaya singing could make me want to eat that.

And goat, that is another bad Minnesota memory. :shock:

And Jagermeister. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:47 pm 

I grew up in a family that ate dang near anything. So I'll try just about any food around at least once (except balut, I tried once and just failed). And my nieces and nephews are pretty much willing to try stuff too. It made me all kinds of proud when the oldest (now 22) ordered mussels in white wine at the age of 12 in a fancy restaurant.
I have a newish roommate who won't eat what I consider the basics; things like mushrooms, eggplant, cabbage.....it's very frustrating to think "Yes! barley mushroom orzetto!" and then remember that Lee won't touch it.
*sigh*

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:24 am 
Site Admin

All,

Of my family, only my half-uncle won't try anything interesting.

As a non-meat person, I generally feel that I can't point a finger too agressively at anyone else's eating habits ... as long at they're consistent.

Hmmm, speaking of which ...