Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An Evening of Haute Cuisine, inspired by Escoffier
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:07 am 

This was at a restaurant that is one of the few fine dining establishments located in the Tri-Cities. The food here is very good, but the service though not bad just isn't very professional for the prices they charge. My friend Jack agreed to go with me. The cost was $85 per person and that includes wine. The first wine was Rousanne. This was a White wine and it was served with the first two courses. The first course was Pressed Duck Soup. The second course was Slow Roasted Pork Belly hinted with Truffle. The next wine was Grenache Gris. This was also a White wine and it was served with the next two courses. The third course was Caviar with Citrus Essence and Cucumber Belini. The fourth course was Sea Bass with Thyme, Shallots, Lemon and Olive Oil. The next wine was Nova. This was a Red wine and it was served with the fifth course. This course was a Lamb and Mushroom stew. The 4th wine was Carignan which was also a red. This was served with the sixth course which was Hangar Steak with Dijon Marrow Pan Sauce. The next wine was September 29th Syrah. The 7th course was Pheasant Galantine with Michigan Cherries. The 8th Course was a Salad consisting of Romaine, Endive and Beets with a Creamy Dijon Dressing. The last wine of the evening was a Chateau Moncontour Vouvray. The 9th course was a cheese course consisting of St. Andre, Bleu D' Auvergne and Morbier. The 10th and final course was wine poached pears with Dark Chocolate and Creme Anglaise.
Chef Aaron Came out three different times and explained the wines and the courses to us.

Jack and I arrived at the restaurant at 6:30 and dinner was supposed to start at 7:00. We were seated, but nobody came to the table for at least 5 minutes. We didn't mind too much, because we were looking at the menu for the evening. We were asked if we wanted cocktails and we both declined. Dinner started and the wine was poured and the the soup was placed. This soup was good, but a little salty. The soup was served in a hot bowl, but the soup wasn't very hot, so I had to stir so the heat of the bowl would warm up the soup. The Pork Belly was good, but it wasn't very hot even though it was served on a very hot plate. The caviar was good. It was the orange caviar that the Japanese use with Sushi. It was very mild. I think my favorite dish of the evening was the Sea Bass. I do not like fish and this was very good. The lamb and mushroom stew was very good. Not enough mushrooms, but the lamb was very tender. My hangar steak was very tough and stringy. Jack doesn't eat beef, so I also ate his and his was a much better piece of meat. The pan sauce to me wasn't seasoned enough. I think it needed more salt. The Pheasant was very good. It was served with a Michigan Cherry Sauce. The salad was excellent. The cheese course was great. The dessert was also very good. The service tonight was OK. One of the servers was just a little too Chatty and they dropped a lot of silverware on the hardwood floor. At the end of the evening, the owner, Shari came out with her son and talked to every table. Her son will be going to Chef school in Colorado in a couple of months. We were seated at 6:30 and it was after 11:00 when we left. I really enjoyed the food. The service was about a 6 out of 10.

Post subject: Re: An Evening of Haute Cuisine, inspired by Escoffier
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:55 am 

That is one helluva meal for only $85! I assume this was a prix fixe meal. Thanks for the detailed review.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:41 am 

The $85 did not include tax and tip. The total came to $106.00 per person. For the amount of food and wine that you got, it was worth it to me. My friend Jack who really likes wine wasn't impressed enough with any of the selections. I don't drink wine, so I thought the Whites were OK and one of the Reds

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:07 am 

Sounds like a nice evening to me. I like it when the wine parings are included with the meal. I am not savy enough to select the perfect wine for each course.

I agree, a lot of food for $85.00. How did it compare to North Pond in Chicago?

Laurie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:55 am 

Wow, what a meal. I did a tasting menu with wine pairings when I went to Allen Wong's in Hawaii. For me, it was just too much wine. The price sounds amazing for all you got. Thanks for the play by play.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:30 am 

Anyone interested in a weekend of debauchery, Escoffier style, the Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs annually has an Escoffier weekend complete with endless food, wine and cooking classes. I think it is in Feb, but you can always check it out on their webist at www.broadmoor.com
ilene

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:49 am 

The food was just as good as the food at the North Pond. The presentation of some of the courses were lacking any creativity, but then some of them looked great. The service can't compare to the service we had at the North Pond. The servers at Shari's really need some more training.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Todd,

Any reason not to name the restaurant?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:56 pm 

Ok, well I tried and tried to get the link, but, go to the NYTimes, food and wine, and there are two articles Parts 1 and 2, of things never to do in restaurant service. Lots of good things there including my pet peeve "would you like change?" I'm considering copying it, and handing out to some managers. Even if the food is fab, if the service isn't great it sort of casts a pall over the dinner. Still, the food sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:29 pm 

The restaurant's name is Shari's.