Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Swine Flu report - anyone home with it??
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 pm 

Anyone come down with this yet? There are tons of kids with it up here. No adult friends yet.

The vaccines came into the health dept finally, they had FIFTEEN doses. Geesh. Our ER (one hospital town) is experiencing record days of patient visits. ICU jammed. Lots of OT with the health care crowd.

I am turning into a handwash/sanitizer freak. Avoiding crowds.

Anyone else care to report in??

eb

disclaimer: I am not a doctor or health professional, just for discussion purposes.

Post subject: Re: Swine Flu report - anyone home with it??
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

EB,

No, it's just a cold. Thanks for asking, though!

;)

(yes, I really am home with a cold)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:00 am 

Strangely, I think I've already had it -last April. I kept thinking it wasn't the Swine flu because it wasn't all that bad, except I was down for about ten days; I had all of the symptoms, but my fever was mild.

I thought it sounded like the Spanish flu, which my grandfather died of in 1918. Well, I saw a news report that people in my age group have an immunity because we are descendents of the survivors of the Spanish flu! That flu was a world pandemic, and people would feel fine in the morning and be dead at the end of the day. We already had a student at Cornell die from it a few weeks ago. Nasty stuff....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:11 am 

This is one time I am thankful to be over 65....they say we have some antibodies from the last stange flu epidemic in the 40's
ilene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:39 am 

I've gotten my regular flu shot (why does that make your arm feel like it's going to fall off?) but not the swine flu, yet. Hopefully, it will be available at my next midwife's appointment. I've already informed Geekboy that he needs to call our regular doctor and get his, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:33 pm 

JesBelle wrote:
(why does that make your arm feel like it's going to fall off?)
We learned a secret - consciously lower your shoulder (so it's not hunched up) when the jab goes in. Somehow raising your shoulder it makes the arm muscle tense, and when the muscle is tense the shot hurts more. It's easy for your shoulder to go up when they're pushing up your sleeve to get to the shot location.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:21 pm 

I got a regular flu shot 6 weeks ago along with my allergy shot. I have been getting allergy shots every two weeks or once a month for the last 15 years. I can tell you that the person giving the shot really makes a difference. There was this nurse at the Allergists that gave the worst shots. Her technique was the same as a person using an Ice Pick on a block of ice. My arm would swell up after getting a shot from her. It was terrible. There is a relatively new girl now that gives great shots. My brother also gets shots and we go together and we both have commented about her shots. They don't hurt and our arms don't swell. Years ago, my allergist actually gave me a shot and when he did it, he angled the needle instead of going straight into the muscle and it was the best shot. It didn't hurt and you couldn't even tell where he picked me with the needle. I wish all my shots could be that way.