Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Living Cookbook
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:49 pm 

Hi Linda, don't know Cook'n at all. Why are you moving your recipes? If it is for use with iPad, try Paprika, very easy to do. I didn't move mine, just copied them. The last LC release, 0.89 is stable and works well. Even if they never do another update/upgrade, why change? I have programs I use that are way older than that. The splash windows problem is a windows issue, not an LC issue. It happens to me with some programs e.g. Quicken, but usually resolves itself with a computer restart.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:07 am 

Alina, I was just assuming that my LC is going to continue to be unstable (even if I can successfully reinstall - which I haven't tried to do yet). I didn't know that the problem was caused by Windows.
So I was figuring that I would have to replace my software with something else - especially since there appears to be no support anymore.
I'll let you know if I'm successful. And, thanks for your help.

Edited to add: I was able to find the program under 'Radium Technology' on my C drive and deleted it. Then I downloaded the trial version and re-licensed it. Unfortunately my last back up was from February (I won't make that mistake again!) and I restored it and now everything is working fine. Can't believe it wasn't fatal! But I'm still worried about LC and wondering if I should replace it with something that will be supported for the future.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:58 am 

Linda, that is why I suggested copying the database from the C drive before deleting it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:49 am 

Anyone heard anything lately about Living Cookbook software? I see there website is still up and they're still selling it. The forum site is down right now.
I was wondering if the owners have just given up on it since Windows 10 came out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:30 pm 

I'm pretty sure it's dead, but then I was pretty sure of that when they didn't make a version for tablets.

http://support.radiumtechnologies.com/093041-No-response-from-Living-Cookbook-2015

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:23 pm 

I still use the LC 2015 version on Windows 10 everyday. I use a combination of Evernote and Paprika to see my recipes on my iPad. I've used Parallels Access to successfully connect to my laptop LC from my iPad.

Sadly, updated or not, it is still the best recipe software manager available. I use RecipeFox on Firefox to get recipes from the web to my LC. My main use is to store recipes I might want to try and record my changes on those I make. I also manually copy techniques for later use.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

All,

If folks want some guidance on running old versions of Windows in an emulator to support LC, that's quite possible. In fact, LC might run under WINE for the Mac users.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:08 am 

I'm still using LC2015 as well with Windows 10. I got it back running again (after my issues with the new Win10) and all has been good since. I just keep wondering what's happened to Lee Grainger and why it's just been dropped. Is that what usually happens with old software when the creators just move on?
Alina, I'm impressed at how you've managed to get this to work with your ipad! But I'm afraid that it's way over my pay grade.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:31 am 

LC is working fine on my computer. I installed it under Windows 8 and it made the transition to Windows 10 just fine. The problem is I don't have my desktop computer in my kitchen. LC is great. It has lots of great features and it is easy to use -- but it's tied to a desktop or laptop computer.

I now have Paprika on my iPad mini. It took about a week to move my 1000+ recipes from LC to Paprika. It appears at first glance that you can move entire files full of recipes, but you can't. They have to be moved one at a time, and the pictures get lost. I'm not just referring to the how-to pictures in the body of the recipe, a feature that Paprika doesn't support, but also the thumbnail picture of the dish itself. I had to move all of my LC pictures onto my camera roll, then hunt each one down and add it into the recipes individually. So, yeah, I'm a little disappointed in LC for not making a tablet version and basically putting me through this.

It's done now, and moving the odd recipe back or forth is not a big deal, but unless LC comes out with an app for mobile devices, I'm not going to buy it again. It's too bad, because LC has a lot of features I'd love to see on the device I actually use in the kitchen. On the other hand, meal planning is much easier with Paprika, and I hate meal planning, so that's a major plus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:41 pm 

jes, I'm in the same situation. My desktop is upstairs in my office so I can't access my recipes in the kitchen.
Some time ago I was told (by someone I don't remember) that LC was coming out with that app for mobile devices that you mentioned. So I've been waiting.....
It doesn't appear that there will be any new versions coming from LC, it looks like it's done for.
And I LOVE my LC and will keep using what I have as long as it continues to work.