Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 10
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:42 am 

Anyone else upgrade?
I have been using it for a couple days and so far I'm pretty impressed (granted, I have little computer expertise). I like the new Edge browser since I've been having a lot of trouble lately with Firefox and YahooMail together.
No real issues so far. I moved from Win7 though and it seems most beneficial for those who have Win8.
Or are you all Mac users?

Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:46 am 

So far my impressions of Windows 10 are good. There still seems to be a difference between tile downloads and desktop downloads of apps, but we have figured out Overdrive to manage library audio books so things are looking up. Still do not like the tiles, but they are less obtrusive than they used to be.

The Edge browser seems to be an improvement over IE, but Norton's keeps reminding me that it is not secure because it does not accept security plug-ins. Opening to a news page is a nice touch. I have learned that the Universe is Dying and that the explosion of a Yellowstone volcano will result in so much dust that it will be impossible to keep our white carpet clean. Need to upgrade my vacuum!

I still remain utterly dumbfounded at how pathetic 8.1 was.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:04 am 

I recently got a new laptop and it came with 8.1. So I upgraded to 10 the day it came out. Upgraded with no problems super fast. First thing I did was to get rid of most tiles. Even though my new laptop (HP Envy) has a touchscreen, I am a mouse user. No problem with my Logitech mouse. I am impressed with how fast it boots and shuts down. Got the Norton update (360 Premier) to go with 10 and they play well together. No problems with Living Cookbook or Quicken.

I've not used Edge as I'm a Mozilla girl. Use Thunderbird for mail, works great, and use Firefox (40+ on beta channel) No problems with latest Java and Recipe Fox. I don't use Cortana or Bing. I do like the weather tile, the only live tile I left.

I am having a problem with font size (had it 8.1 as well). I can't set it up so it's readable, but not so big as to mess my games. OTOH, the games render so beautifully, but I'm sure that is the GTX 850m, not Windows 10.

Overall really happy with 10 on the laptop. Still running 7 on my old desktop, though I signed up for 10.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

First security update for windows 10 is already out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:11 am 

I just installed my new desktop (loaded with Windows 10) yesterday. I find it much different than the Windows 10 update version that I was using on my old computer. However, unlike many of you, I'm just a dabbler.
I could have carried on with the old desktop but I had a few problems with drivers, etc. and Dell told me mine was about at the end of its lifetime, but of course they wanted me to buy a new one. They would no longer offer me extended support for it.
Love the Edge as I was having some troubles both with IE as well as Firefox before.
Still trying to get all my files and programs moved over.