Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I had my first Cronut today
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:59 pm 

Some salesman brought in a box of pastries to work today. Inside was this square pastry covered in powdered sugar with a fruit filling. I could not identify the filling, so I called the bakery Crust to see what it was. The pastry was a Cronut with Rose Hip filling. It was excellent. The bakery is in Fenton Michigan which is about 60 miles from Bay City. I guess I will be going to Fenton soon to check out this place.

Last edited by talanhart on Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: I had my first Cronut today
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:25 pm 

Oh, Yum, me too...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:47 pm 

You lucky dog!! A friend of mine visited NYC several months ago and on my recommendation she went to the bakery that created the Cronut. (I've never had one -- had read about it on Serious Eats, I think.) It was in the morning but the Cronuts were long sold out. The girl behind the counter told her that you've got to get there before the store opens and stand in a line that wraps around the building to get one. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:56 pm 

And speaking of delicious doughnuts, have any of you ever waffled a glazed doughnut? I saw that on Serious Eats a while back and then recently had a seriously weak (ha) moment at the Krispy Kreme in town. I bought a dozen glazed (mostly because I can't stand to pay the same for half-dozen at the individual price as a boxed dozen costs). So then when I got home, having way more doughnuts than I should have on the premises, I pulled out the waffle iron. I thought they were a-mazing. Same pillow of deliciousness but with a crisp, caramelized crust.

However there was one MAJOR problem. Usually 2 doughnuts are all I need for sweetness satisfaction and feeling full -- but for some reason when they were waffled and crispy, I hadn't had enough until I'd eaten four! I couldn't believe my gluttony! It's a good thing that the waffle iron was a bear to clean, otherwise I'd probably do it again. Oink Oink.

Emilie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:05 am 

Mmmmmm, Krispy Kreme. Only when the "Hot Now" sign is on, though. It's a blessing there aren't any KKs here in Minnesota or I'd weigh even more than I do...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:44 pm 

You're so right, Darcie! Fortunately I only see the "hot doughnuts now" sign about once a week when I happen to be in that part of town -- and the majority of the time I can resist. But when I can't, watch out!! I've made homemade doughnuts more than once but there's still something about the KK hot glazed...