Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ranting!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Sorry, that was poorly stated. They brought the wine un-opened. However, upon opening, even they couldn't finish their glass, it was so awful.

Mind you, I've done that. Not because I bought a cheap/bad label, but just because the bottle was corked. That's why I taste the wine if I bring it ... or have the wine-bringer taste it. That way if it's plonk, they can say "Oh. Hmmm. This is ... not so good. Do you have a back-up wine?" After all it happens ... I even had it happen with a $40 bottle of Ridge once.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 pm 

Jaxallie wrote:
During the party for someone else, my friends were already starting to complain about having a party for me because they couldn't possibly have anything that I would think was good....They suggested that I "cater" my own retirement party.

Karen

Karen,

That's awful! Pizza sounds like a good plan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:30 am 

This all sounds like why I have never cooked much for family holiday dinners. I usually make the desserts, and don't eat much dinner, if it warrants it! I don't try to discuss food with them (except a cousin, who also likes to grow a lot of things, much like me), or suggest new things - seems like some of those items I have been seeing forever, and some people simply want the same things over and over. Yet I know they didn't come up with those recipes by tweaking recipes, and finding out their absolute favorite way of making something!

Seems like we all like to rant!

TheFuzzy wrote:
Paul Kierstead wrote:
Sorry, that was poorly stated. They brought the wine un-opened. However, upon opening, even they couldn't finish their glass, it was so awful.

Mind you, I've done that. Not because I bought a cheap/bad label, but just because the bottle was corked. That's why I taste the wine if I bring it ... or have the wine-bringer taste it. That way if it's plonk, they can say "Oh. Hmmm. This is ... not so good. Do you have a back-up wine?" After all it happens ... I even had it happen with a $40 bottle of Ridge once.

Always have a backup wine. Not only in case one is not to great, but in case it's not enough! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:26 am 

I don't know enough about wine to care what I'm getting (That's why, if I'm bringing it, I go to a little shop where the owner actually knows her stuff and buy whatever she tells me to.) but, once in a while someone will get wind of the fact that I really like beer. Then I should really try this awesome beer that is their absolute favorite! Usually it's Corona, but once it was Heineken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:48 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Mind you, I've done that. Not because I bought a cheap/bad label, but just because the bottle was corked.

I remember my sommelier in culinary school quoting a figure of something like 20% of all wine sold is actually corked, but most people don't realize it. Stelvin screw caps are lowering this no doubt, but I've certainly had to send back wine because of it.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:43 am 

I love my friends. I love the ones that can't cook and invite me over anyway. I love the ones who show up with anything edible. I love that they show appreciation for the work I put into food and are in awe that so many things can be made instead of purchased. But I can relate to all the above and wish to add this:
Text conversation from last night:
Quote:
Me- Want to come to dinner? We are having calamari and pasta
Friend - Sure, what can I bring?
Me- Up to you, also making a salad
Friend - I will bring bruschetta
30 mintutes later....
Friend - store was out of bruschetta, bringing baguettes
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It never occurred to my wonderful friend to just buy tomatoes and garlic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:08 am 

How is Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio? I read good things on chowhound, and just found a bottle. I don't love many whites.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:59 am 

Jean, I love your attitude!

fitzie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Becca,

To be blunt, there's a good reason why Santa Margherita is consistently available inexpensively at TJ's. It's an inexpensive wine, and it tastes like an inexpensive wine. Like other TJ's finds, they occasionally have unexpectedly good years, but most of the time you want to have low expectations. The folks at Chowhound, like the folks at Yelp, often value economy over flavor.

From a guest etiquette perspective, you could bring a bottle to a friend's house if you know they really don't care about wine, but not if they are into wine at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:37 pm 

My New Year's resolution is to be more like Jean. After all, isn't the point of hosting or being a guest to enjoy the company of friends? I can have a great time with cocktail weenies and Baby Duck so long as the company is good.

I'd hate to think that anyone was afraid to come over bringing what they like or what they can afford because they were worried about whether or not I would approve.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next