Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ranting!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:13 am 

Late the party here but I have the same problem. My main friends group is full of non-foodies who drink supermarket wine. I got two Disney-esqe wines for Christmas because they liked the label. So now, I don't cook elaborate food for them. I have other friends I spend time cooking on, and I do only the basics when this group comes over, and they are always happy. I had them over for cookies two weeks ago and made ziti with boxed noodles, canned sauce and supermarket ricotta and they raved because I added some garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes. A few days later I made a massive all-homemade lasagna for other friends, and they were also happy. No point in beating my head against the wall.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:51 am 

Some people just have no class at all.
I'm remembering a very special T'giving dinner I'd planned several years ago. Among those I invited was a couple who were my oldest friends - she who does not cook.
When she offered to bring something I suggested she bring a pumpkin pie.
When they arrived she had instead a Costco pumpkin pie cheesecake. And, worst of all, part of it had been already eaten. Why wants a big honkin' cheesecake to go with a huge dinner? No one ate any, of course, and I sent it back home with them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:55 am 

Linda wrote:
And, worst of all, part of it had been already eaten.

That is simply gross. Really? Come on people...get a life.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:59 am 

I make food for me and my wife. Occasionally I let other people partake. I don't especially care what they think; the one thing that will irritate me is them telling me that the dish I made was really really wonderful but that they make it much more simply (though not quite as good). Yes, I know the last 5% takes 90% of the time, but so what? It was my time. I think maybe they are justifying their shorter approach, which is fine, but they could keep it to themselves instead of making out like I made a bad choice in optimization (I just hang out with too many people with degrees in this sort of thing, clearly). However, I know they mean no harm, so try to keep calm :).

We just live with the wine they bring, though one weekend guest last weekend actually brought wine *they* couldn't finish. We had a nice bottle of bordeaux after they left :)

Usually if someone brings food, it is dessert. We basically never eat (or make) dessert, so it is OK I guess, but it has yet to be an actual good dessert.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:01 am 

I just wish I had friends that brought wine. Okay, truthfully we only invite family over for dinner. My sister has started bringing me wine, since I started getting into it. I've gotten into better wines though so they are often not to my taste.

I'm kicking myself for not getting champagne for tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:02 am 

Linda wrote:
And, worst of all, part of it had been already eaten.

I'm with Amy - who dafuq brings a half-eaten dessert to a Thanksgiving meal?!

Luckily most of my friends are very cooperative when I say, "Please don't bring anything but your appetite." Every so often they will bring me a gift card to the grocery store or liquor store because I cook for them much more frequently than they for me (although of course I'm happy to do it without anything in return).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:23 am 

Paul wrote: "We just live with the wine they bring, though one weekend guest last weekend actually brought wine *they* couldn't finish."

I mean, really?! Who brings used food to a dinner party?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:46 am 

Sorry, that was poorly stated. They brought the wine un-opened. However, upon opening, even they couldn't finish their glass, it was so awful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:19 pm 

jim262 wrote:
I may need to rethink taking frozen poppers and a bag of lightly chilled Red Cat to a New Years Eve party. :oops:

LOL! If it's in a hot tub, I'd say go right ahead!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:44 pm 

I have friends like that also. I am getting ready to retire at the end of January. We just had a retirement party at work for another co-worker. The entree was frozen heated up lasagna, and a giant crock pot of buffalo chicken dip. During the party for someone else, my friends were already starting to complain about having a party for me because they couldn't possibly have anything that I would think was good. I was never so embarrassed in all of my life. They suggested that I "cater" my own retirement party. I really, really, had to hold my tongue. I don't criticize what people bring, I just choose to bring something homemade and different. So, I feel for you Wino..........I think I'll just have pizza when I retire!!!

Karen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next