Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ranting!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:18 pm 

Becca- I'm not a wine expert and rarely drink expensive wines...which is likely a good thing as I really don't need that habit to support. ;) SM is made in my parent's region of Italy which is well known for their Pinot Grigio wines but I've not tried that one. I buy Mezzacorona for that variety as I've been to that town a lot and really like the wine. It's around $14/bottle here but likely way cheaper in the US.
I didn't love the TJs (charles shaw) pinot grigio but it was drinkable, just wouldn't be something I'd buy again.
My "wines as gifts" are usually pretty different from wines we drink at home since we have wine with almost every dinner. The couple that hosted the NYE party I went to last night got a bottle of Masi Campofiorin which we like but it's too pricey for us for an everyday wine at this stage of our life. http://www.ottawalife.com/2013/01/masis ... ve-tasted/ - I found this article interesting although I realize it has nothing to do with your question, lol.

Fitzie/Carey - thanks. Most of my friends make an effort to bring quality items so it's easy to love them. And they clean up after me in the kitchen, which is in itself priceless.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:31 pm 

Becca, as I've said I know very little about wine except I've learned that I don't care for many oaked ones. I've had excellent pinot grigios at restaurants (had a great one Jean Georges's Market in Boston last week), but can't always find them at home. Santa Margherita is one of my favorites. I guess I've been lucky with the years. Then again my favorite white is Frog's Leap Sauvignon Blanc (a couple of great years, most good, though did have 1 awful year).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

All,

Clearly there is some difference of opinion about Santa Margherita.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:15 am 

I'm sure you're much further on your wine journey than I am. It's funny how that works. I'll let y'all know if I like it.

Last edited by beccaporter on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:23 am 

I have been responding to this post mentally for the past few days. These are my thoughts:

I have very few rants guest wise. My best friends and the ones we most socialize with are from my cooking club so no problem at all with the food. People also tend to cook here. I am always surprised by visiting American friends and relatives who are surprised that I cook meals. Everyone I know here cooks most meals and no one would take an inability to cook as a point of pride. The middle school here has an excellent cooking program which includes how to shop and budget. That said, the standard Swiss fare can be a bit on the bland side and home cooks are not always the most adventurous lot. That doesn't bother me. Not being able to feed yourself, that bothers me.

People bring wine as house gifts (you go to no ones home without a small gift) but it would be very odd if someone opened the wine at dinner. I suggest you buy your own wine to go with your meal, and then thank your guest profusely and put it on the side. If they say they will bring wine, tell them you have something already and just bring their appetites. If you have friends with great wines, say YEEES.

Becca, there are all sorts of good wines at all prices. I have bought excellent wines in US grocery stores. My husband even bought some great I don't know what at a 7-11! I have been very spoiled by hanging with a bunch of wine snobs but often do not see the quality corresponding to the price. Like Jean, we usually have some "house wine" for every day drinking. One of my favorite reds is an Italian, Villa Antinori (they also do a nice white). It goes with a lot of things and is always on sale. It is also good enough to bring along when invited. The other thing, go to wine tastings. Or host one. If you like Pinot, try different kinds, price ranges, so you know what you like best.

My biggest rant is not usually the food quality, it is when either host or guest are phoning it in. Going to someones house where the table is not set, things are not ready. That bugs me. If someone serves take away but has set the table, lit a few candles or ANYTHING at least signals that I was wanted. Guests who are late or not adding to the evening or just throw a bag of chips on the table, ick. What bothers me more than anything are couples who argue and make me feel uncomfortable. We once went on a ski vacation with another family and the first night at dinner they told us they were splitting up and this was their last family vacation. They spent the rest of the week snarking at each other, telling tales to my husband and I and (him) ogling women loudly and often. Awful. The way I see it, the job of the host or guest is making the other feel comfortable, even if that means drinking someones sucky wine and then praising it.

My latest rant was me. My friend Darrin asked me to bring an appetizer for NYE that required assembly/baking in her tiny kitchen. This meant that I spent the first half hour or so of the party, flinging raw tuna and fresh mozzarella in my party clothes while everyone else was drinking their wine snob wines and staying tidy. I knew this was going to be the case and she would not have minded if I did not bring that. I just got into the thought of everyone loving my appetizer. That and my automatic response to say yes to everything.

Now I will be able to sleep at night.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:43 am 

With wine you should drink what you like. That may change over time, it may not. We also have everyday wines that we drink with dinner (our cheap and cheerfuls) and the more special bottles that we have on special occasions. But price and tastiness don't always match. Sometimes I enjoy the cheap and cheerfuls better. And what I like in a wine may not be at all what someone else is looking for. It also depends on what (or whether) you are eating with it. With so many variables, there just can't be any one 'best' so sometimes what others recommend will not be to your taste. The good news is you get to drink a lot to figure out what you like!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

beccaporter wrote:
I'm sure your much further on your wine journey than I am. It's funny how that works. I'll let y'all know if I like it.

It's also possible I've had only the "bad" years ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:25 am 

I really liked the 2012 last night. One of the few whites I've liked actually. There was also a Louis Jadot I liked a lot. I don't like grapey whites, I think I need to find buttery whites, maybe?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:23 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
...Like other TJ's finds, they occasionally have unexpectedly good years, but most of the time you want to have low expectations.

Jenny posted this on facebook today which made me think of this thread. The Girlfriend and editor comments are great.
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/t ... =thrillist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:59 pm 

Thanks Jean, that's a great teaching lesson; I've forwarded it to all my real winos :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next