Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to deal with a difficult client
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:49 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Jim: maybe you should think about what you're saying before you post. Telling someone they should be embarassed is not productive. I expect you had a bad experience with a caterer once, but that doesn't justify insulting Amy.

Thank you Josh.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:05 pm 

Amy, I suspect when you speak to her live you'll be able to find out why she changed her mind and work it out. I'm reminded of the story in Garlic and Sapphires where Ruth Reichl developed an entire menu for Thai (? Chinese? I just remember it involved visits to numerous restaurants in NY's Chinatown) for a dinner for the head of the NY Times. Her boss changed it to all seafood as it was more expensive sounding. The head of the paper was allergic to seafood.
So just wondering if they have a guest issue that is now influencing the menu and she's trying to merge two different mindsets. Good luck. I just finished a contract working for someone who changed her mind at the drop of a hat, normally when my documents were complete, and would insist that she'd said one thing when she hadn't. And since she didn't have experience with the work that I was doing her direction wasn't necessarily the right one. There's no way I'd ever work for her again. Well, maybe if I was destitute.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:48 am 

I can't speak for Jim, but I want to state that I have great respect for you Amy and did not mean to insult in any way.

However, I do stand by my comment the customer is always right even when they are wrong. I've had a lot of experience listening to people complain about not being heard, trying to figure out what they really want etc. and trying to get them there.

Since you say they are sophisticated and know good food, then I'd be curious as to what prompted the redlining. Bad day for her, more information received about guest tastes, had bad experience with a proposed dish at a restaurant, etc.?

So to clarify, I was not advocating you dumb down your menu without a fight, just that you might want to try to find out why she felt the need to do so. What can I say, I always want to know the why behind (even though I know it is not necessary to change behavior).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:24 am 

jim262 wrote:
She may be posting on a bulletin board somewhere asking for advice on how to deal with a difficult caterer. :twisted:

Frankly, I would be embarrassed that I did not listen to and understand her needs fully enough to do the proposal right the first time and vow to not make the same mistake during the second meeting.

The customer is right. Always.

If only the IRS felt the same way... :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:50 am 

I've got to say something here.

Jim, you were completely out-of-line dissing me. How dare you suggest I didn't listen to her the first time I spoke with her. I did, and she simply changed her mind. And, not in a way that is favorable to the menu we discussed. I'll make it work for where she now wants it to be, but you were very rude in your response, and I really don't appreciate it.

Alina, I know you were not trying to insult me, whereas Jim was.

Yes, I'm trying to build a brand, and I'm also trying to build a business. Jim, if you want to be this rude, find another forum to do it in.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:40 pm 

Got an email from my client. Hopefully we'll chat tomorrow.

One request she has is for an eggplant side dish that will go with a chicken dish I recommended for the second evening's dinner. I never make eggplant anymore because Andy hates it. The chicken is in a crème fraîche and lemon sauce. It's being served with quinoa with local porcinis! Yes, they are actually out there this year!

Ideas? Based on emails, she doesn't seem to like tomatoes, is allergic to blue cheese and most nuts.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:04 pm 

I have been looking at this one (why, yes, it is Ottolenghi, how odd). http://nami-nami.blogspot.ch/2010/06/ot ... -with.html

Check if she can eat pine nuts, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:10 pm 

Wow, that does sound good! She's not allergic to pine nuts, walnuts or pecans, so this is something I'm going to try this week. I've already got pomegranate on the menu for the first night, but this would work really well with the rest of the menu, so maybe I'll change the first night menu.

Thanks!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:17 pm 

Probably not what you are looking for but this caught my eye in googling....http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... ngs-104341

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:22 pm 

Jean,

I'm going to have to try that, but is probably not right for this event. Thanks for linking to it though! I just have to eat more eggplant regardless of what Andy wants. :lol:

Amy