Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need your advice, please.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:17 am 

I decided to do a small local business. Basically just selling my stuff from my house through a Facebook group page. I'm thinking lotions, soaps, laundry detergent, baked goods, fresh eggs, etc.

Real small. People can just tell me what exactly they'd like me to make. I'd tell them the price. If they accept I'd make it. Just local.

My question is, how do I figure out what to charge? People aren't gonna want to spend a ton, but my baked goods are more real and better quality than the stuff you can buy around here.

I'm not decorating cakes.

Help me with the logistics, friends! This would be the ideal way for me to bring in a little income while indulging my hobbies.

Post subject: Re: I need your advice, please.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:37 am 

When I do bead jewelry for people I use this equation -- Cost of supplies + (my hourly "wage" x time spent on the piece). I don't figure in overhead like cost of tools, etc. since I'm mainly just making pin money and supporting my habit, but you might want to add in a bit to cover things like soap molds and the wear and tear on your kitchen equipment. The hardest part is sticking to the idea that your time is actually valuable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:37 am 

The items you mentioned are fairly common type of fair at most farmers markets. I would browse there to get a rough idea as to what they are being sold for there. I wouldn't be afraid to be slightly higher in price because you are offering a "custom" service in addition to a "better" product.

Folks can get "common" baked goods and products in many places. It sounds like you targeting those who are willing to pay a little more and will recognize the value of the product. I think it is a GREAT idea. You can have them drop by the house to pick up or offer free delivery for a certain $$ of sales threshold or a small delivery charge to take it to their door. That can be farmed out to young or old friends seeking a little extra pocket money.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Becca,

From your facebook page? Does that mean you'll be shipping stuff all over the country? That'll work fine for the soaps and lotions, but for baked goods that means overnight shipping.

Some tips:

Uniqueness sells. Try to find some item which you can't find anyone else locally (or anyone popular on the interenet) is already selling. Whether it's a shape, a combination of scents, and ingredient, a combination of flavors, etc., doesn't matter. Also, if your items are percieved to be unique, shoppers will be less price-sensitive.

Pricing: your price index is Whole Foods and small boutiques. Folks who do most of their shopping at CostCo aren't going to pay enough for handmade items not to lose money.

Adapt: you will inevitably find that some items sell better than others. Drop the stuff which isn't selling. Expand the varieties of the stuff that is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:44 pm 

I was thinking of creating a new Facebook group page (Porter House Natural Products, how does that sound?) and letting local friends like my page. I figure it will grow that way. I am only talking local, like what Frank said. I can have them pick up at my house, or deliver nearby.

I like the idea of using Whole Foods as a pricing guideline. I love the idea of a FB page, because of the simplicity. I haven't figured out how to really showcase what I can do there though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:49 pm 

If you do not want to set up at the local farmers market you could probably get someone already there to pick up your product line and sell for you. It would also give you exposure to the type of people you are targeting. Packaging (visual appeal) is very important for value added products in that setting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:01 pm 

That is exactly why I don't want to do farmer's markets. I don't want to think about labeling/packaging. I'd also really like to stay home. 😏 Plus, I do not mind starting slow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:31 pm 

Double-check with local health officials and business licensing requirements (tax collection and remittance, if necessary, etc.) It is way better to act in accordance than to temporarily shut down something that begins to build momentum.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:30 pm 

Becca
I would like to buy some soap & lotion. Is this a face soap body lotion? Send it to me with an invoice or I can pay you in advance if that works better for you.
Kathy17403@yahoo.com for my address.
I am pulling for you. I can see this as a great gift for the holidays.
Kathy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:45 pm 

Sent Kathy! 😃