Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Power Outage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:50 am 

We had a storm on Friday that lasted about 20 minutes. It knocked over trees and telephone poles and I was without power for 30 hours. The good news is the picture that I have posted. The bad news is the motherboard in my wall oven is fried and none of the controls work. I wonder how much that is going to cost. I pulled the panel my self which consisted of two screws and two plugs, so I can take it into the appliance store and not have to worry about a service call.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Power Outage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:39 am 

I had a couple instances this summer where my GFI tripped on the outlet where my free-standing freezer was plugged in. The other time was when the circuit tripped in my garage where my extra fridge is plugged in. Last week I had an electrician move the GFI to another location and add a new outlet for the fridge in the garage that isn't GFI protected. Also, I had him add a whole-house surge suppressor to my electrical panel.
The outages ALWAYS seem to happen when I'm out of town. Now I don't have to worry. At last, peace of mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:22 am 

Sorry to hear about the outage and damage. Our oven control panel was $250; hope yours is less.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:14 am 

We had a similar problem in our vacation home. Over 2 years, we lost our refrigerator, a TV, a wine cooler and an air conditioning unit. I did some research and discovered that a whole-house surge protector might have prevented all our losses. We had an electrician install one...and have never had a problem since. The unit itself was $100 and another $100 to have it installed. Cheap insurance! We have since installed one in our permanent home.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:42 am 

Wow, ouch! We have power outages here regularly. Some are scheduled, others apparently depend upon if someone sneezes or a dog farts. The scheduled ones go for 8 to 10 hours, sometimes 12. The unscheduled ones are normally shorter, from 1 hour to 4 or 5. The experience has been ... invaluable ... to be kind.

When we build a house, we will incorporate a "whole house" surge protection system. Along with LED emergency lights that work off a small bank of deep cycle batteries, I plan on a generator for essential items, primarily refrigerator and freezers if the outage is long enough to threaten the food safety. But to be honest, kerosene lanterns give a rather romantic glow and are fine for playing a couple rounds of "Go Fish".

Talanhart, I feel for you! We've lost one computer and two televisions to the repair shop due to power problems. Luckily our refrigerator and freezer have managed to deal with it. I've got most of my electrical gadgets on either automatic power supplies or at least surge protectors.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:25 pm 

$998.00 for the new board,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:57 pm 

talanhart wrote:

Wow! That seems high. :( I'm sorry to hear it.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:05 pm 

did you try that cheap online appliance source Crystal posted on TOBB? I will try to find

edit to add - does anyone know if this is the right one? http://www.repairclinic.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:36 am 

Double ... Oh-Wow ... kinda Otchity-Ouch!

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:07 am 

talanhart wrote:

Damn! That's really expensive.
I'm thinking that the $150 for the whole-house surge suppressor was money well spent if it would protect my electronics in a similar situation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next