Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This might be a dumb question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:28 am 

but how do sites like Serious Eats make their money. Obviously the advertisers on the site and cookbook sales but is that it?

Post subject: Re: This might be a dumb question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:47 am 

From their site...

Serious Eats is Serious Business

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:27 pm 

That's interesting. I noticed just recently that most of their ads all seem to be food or lifestyle related in some way, rather than the irritating political and other random ones that constantly pop up on other food blogs. I really like their content -- hope it's working for them.

Emilie

p.s. Serious Eats is where I first read about the "Cronut," as it was created by a NY baker. And as it happens, I have a friend up in NYC this week and she went to that bakery just today. She visited there in the afternoon and they were sold out (no surprise), and the server told her she'd need to get there 2 hours before they open and stand in line with 100+ people to get one. That donut must be some kinda good!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:24 am 

Emilie, they were talking about the Cronuts on public radio the other day and interviewing people standing in line. Some reviews were that
they were good but not sure they were worth waiting for two hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:55 pm 

The only food I've found worth waiting two hours for (in 100 degree heat, I might add) was Franklin's BBQ in Austin.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:02 pm 

At some point it becomes and event, a conversation piece, an adventure. I'd say it is clearly into that category. I remember reading about some pizza joint in NY like that too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

Well, Voodoo Donuts in Portland aren't, frankly, very good donuts. That's why they slather them with fudge and peanut butter and bacon and maple sugar and wierder stuff. However, waiting in line at Voodoo Donuts at 11pm in downtown Portland is an experience, worth a tourist visit even if you're not going to eat any of the donuts. Last time I was there, it was with a mad Australian in a full-on Mad Hatter costume ... and he was far from the most outlandish person there.

Plus, in NYC (and increasingly in SF) people take the attitude: "if other people are waiting in line for it, it MUST be good!" And by the time you get to the front of the line, it IS good, because you're STARVING. http://sanfranciscowaits.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:49 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Well, Voodoo Donuts in Portland aren't, frankly, very good donuts. That's why they slather them with fudge and peanut butter and bacon and maple sugar and wierder stuff. However, waiting in line at Voodoo Donuts at 11pm in downtown Portland is an experience, worth a tourist visit even if you're not going to eat any of the donuts. Last time I was there, it was with a mad Australian in a full-on Mad Hatter costume ... and he was far from the most outlandish person .

So true...you do get a show with whom is hanging out around the door. I bought a cup of coffee and a doughnut for an interesting vagrant where there a couple of months ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:28 am 

Sorry to hear Voodoo is a do do! I never got to eat there. I'm always a bit hesitant about things slathered in whatever. Usually if you wipe of the slather, the object of the slather is not up to par. There are some nice exceptions.

Amy, I so want to visit Franklin's some day. I'm really a pork guy, but I'll go the distance and do the line to try his brisket. All the more so after seeing your comment.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines