Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Great job on the Board!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:24 am 
Site Admin

All,

All I can say is -- I should have done this 2 years ago. It really took Lindsey leaving CI for me to realize that the old board was dying, partly due to bad technology, and partly due to bad management by BCP.

Speaking of which, does anyone have Lindsey's post-CI e-mail address? I'd like to invite her here.

For comparison with CI's spending 2 months and $1000's to "upgrade" to a broken board ... this board cost me a total of $50 and 2 hours to get up and running. It's all about choosing the right technology. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:24 pm 

Happy Holiday's to everyone - and especially to Fuzzy! I've been a (somewhat dissatisfied) lurker on the CI board for quite some time, and this is a huge improvement. I'm happy to see many of the people I recognize from there are here - I've learned a lot from you in the past and hope to continue that here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:58 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
All,

All I can say is -- I should have done this 2 years ago. It really took Lindsey leaving CI for me to realize that the old board was dying, partly due to bad technology, and partly due to bad management by BCP.

Speaking of which, does anyone have Lindsey's post-CI e-mail address? I'd like to invite her here.

For comparison with CI's spending 2 months and $1000's to "upgrade" to a broken board ... this board cost me a total of $50 and 2 hours to get up and running. It's all about choosing the right technology. :ugeek:

Josh,

I have her private e-mail..I'll look it up and send Wed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:41 am 

Gpdaddy.com doesn't allow the php boards on their free BB service, but they do allow the free Yetanotherforum.net system. So you could have bought this in for under $1 this year on a dot info domain.

PHP requires a BB service that has a mnimum cost of $4/month.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

Werner,

Well, I'm renting the fuzzychef.org virtual server anyway. So there's no reason to move the board to a 3rd-party service who might change their terms in a year. The $50 setup was that I decided to pay my hosting company to troubleshoot a DNS issue for me rather than doing it myself.

The only ongoing cost to the board would be storage, and that only if we decide that we want to allow storage of pictures and attachments on the board. Hmmm. Maybe I should start a survey about that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:11 pm 

Hi Fuzzy and all!

Thanks for the new cool BB. This looks like it's going to be a great place to hang out. I think I too joined CI's BB not long after Fuzz and Crystal and it's been weird seeing so many just drop away.

As much as I like CI's community, I really don't appreciate their high pressure sales tactics and of course the technical problems just seem to keep mounting over there.

Thanks again, Fuzzy! Now I have to go catch up on what y'all have been talking about here :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:56 pm 

I've had a chance to play on the board for awhile today -- and it's really good. :D Very intuitive and just enough features to make it fun but not to distract from its primary purpose. Great job, (and I do love photos -- the one of your kitchen on the CI BB was priceless -- and some of the baked goods posted by some of our fellow posters here were phenomenal).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:57 pm 

:D Lindsay, so glad you have joined us. Now, can you get Crystal to come back? I sent her a xmas card with my GRANDdaughters' pics & asked her to come back, but come to think of it, I did that last yr also. :o
Kathy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Lindsay,

What's that a picture of in your icon?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:55 pm 

That was the first loaf foccacia that I ever made -- I've been trying to perfect it ever since, but it has a lot of sentimental value (those are olives on top), and it wasn't that bad. I've never been big for immaculate, photo-studio shots of food.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next