Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bloody butchers!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:09 pm 

Went into a butcher shop in town, just to check out what they sold. For some reason, butchers in WI only seem to think the cow, the pig and the chicken are edible. Ask for lamb, duck, pheasant, bison- all I get is the dead trout stare. And there are a dozen bison producers within 100 miles, and a pheasant farm just outside the town line.
But the beef looked nice, so I bought a 10 oz strip steak, for 7.99$ not a great price, but not bad. Until I got home and weighed the steak, which came in at 8 oz. 16.00/# is more than I like to pay for standard beef- not grass fed, not "organic", etc. and this place doesn't even break down a whole carcass. Some butchers!
I will return with my underweight steak and see what they do.
Tonight I am now forced to eat a ground lamb (frozen, all I could find) and mushroom fry-up over bulgar pilaf. With a baked sweet potato. *sigh*

Post subject: Re: Bloody butchers!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:18 pm 

I hear ya Becky. I live in a ranch state, yet getting some of it is challenging some days at best.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:03 am 
Site Admin

Becky,

San Francisco is calling you: http://www.goldengatemeatcompany.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 am 

Fuzzy,

In reading the product list for all the lamb that meat company stocks I noticed lamb sweetbreads. The only other place I've seen them mentioned was in a sign in the window of one of those corner butchers in the Italian market in Philly - one that almost always has whole lambs hanging in the window. There's also a shop that has just about every type of exotic meat there is. It's nice to have places like that around, even when you don't shop there often.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:56 am 

I had sweetbreads for lunch last week at one of my favorite little places on the North Shore of Chicago. I was in heaven...

I'd kill for a good butcher.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:07 am 

You need to come here, I can get you all sorts of meat and guts. This includes things like cow udder and horse meat. Also that stuff that looks like a net that you can wrap things up in. They also have a tendency to happily do anything I want. Meat related that is.

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:45 am 

Amy wrote:
I had sweetbreads for lunch last week at one of my favorite little places on the North Shore of Chicago. I was in heaven...

I'd kill for a good butcher.

Amy

Where did you have your sweetbreads?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:52 am 

Froggy's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:44 am 

Becky,

Being overcharged is not appropriate. I assume this was Pinnon; have you gone to DoubleB? How about Bushel&Peck, Woodman's or LaMexicana?

I would assume the food suppliers to Beloit College could give you some information on sources. There has to be some meat locker or wholesaler in the area.

My home town, Burlington (Population under 9,000) has two local grocery stores that break down beef and pork. They also have lamb and veal.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:55 am 

Being short weighed and overcharged is illegal. If I paid for 10 oz and received 8, I would be screaming loud and clear.

Butchering is becoming a lost art on the retail level. There are no butchers in the Richmond area, and such cuts as sweetbreads are almost unavailable. I can no longer find bones for stock in the area.

Tim wrote:
Becky, Being overcharged is not appropriate. I assume this was Pinnon; have you gone to DoubleB? How about Bushel&Peck, Woodman's or LaMexicana?

I would assume the food suppliers to Beloit College could give you some information on sources. There has to be some meat locker or wholesaler in the area.

My home town, Burlington (Population under 9,000) has two local grocery stores that break down beef and pork. They also have lamb and veal.

Tim