Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: That not-so-fresh smell
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:54 am 
Site Admin

I used to do backyard composting. This meant that my compost bin was vegan; basically vegetable scraps and bread only. Cleaning it was never an issue; wash it with soap once a month, it was fine.

We have a Green Bin now (municipal compost), which takes everything: raw food, cooked food, rotten eggs, fish bits, greasy paper towels, moldy cheese, anything organic and biodegradable. This is great from a preventing-landfill and cleaning-the-fridge perspective. But now the compost bin ... well, let's put it this way: I've taken to keeping it outside on the back porch.

That's not a long-term solution, though. For one thing, it'll attract racoons. I need a way to clean it that'll remove the smell.

I don't want to use bleach, since that would (presumably) interfere with the composting. But organic biodegradable soap doesn't seem to do much to erase the smell. Ideas?

Post subject: Re: That not-so-fresh smell
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:55 am 

Maybe a citrus cleaner?

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:22 am 

A good baking soda scrub?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:02 am 

No pun intended but bleach is your solution - when used properly.
This might allay your fears.
From Google:
Quote:

A Risk Assessment Report (RAR) conducted by the European Union on sodium hypochlorite conducted under Regulation EEC 793/93 concluded that this substance is safe for the environment in all its current, normal uses.[25] This is due to its high reactivity and instability. Disappearance of hypochlorite is practically immediate in the natural aquatic environment, reaching in a short time concentration as low as 10−22 μg/L or less in all emission scenarios. In addition, it was found that while volatile chlorine species may be relevant in some indoor scenarios, they have negligible impact in open environmental conditions. Further, the role of hypochlorite pollution is assumed as negligible in soils.

Sodium hypochlorite solution, 3-6%, (common household bleach) must be diluted to be used safely when disinfecting surfaces and when used to treat drinking water. When disinfecting most surfaces, 1 part liquid household bleach to 100 parts water is sufficient for sanitizing. Stronger or weaker solutions may be more appropriate to meet specific goals, such as killing resistant viruses or sanitizing surfaces that will not be in contact with food. See references for more information.
The broad-spectrum effectiveness of bleach, particularly sodium hypochlorite, is owed to the nature of its chemical reactivity with microbes. Rather than acting in an inhibitory or toxic fashion in the manner of antibiotics, bleach quickly reacts with microbial cells to irreversibly denature and destroy many pathogens. Bleach, particularly sodium hypochlorite, has been shown to react with a microbe's heat shock proteins, stimulating their role as intra-cellular chaperone and causing the bacteria to form into clumps (much like an egg that has been boiled) that will eventually die off.[8] In some cases, bleach's base acidity compromises a bacterium's lipid membrane, a reaction similar to popping a balloon. The range of micro-organisms effectively killed by bleach (particularly sodium hypochlorite) is extensive, making it an extremely versatile disinfectant. The same study found that at low (micromolar) sodium hypochlorite levels, E. coli and Vibrio cholerae activate a defense mechanism that helps protect the bacteria, though the implications of this defense mechanism have not been fully investigated.[8]
In response to infection, the human immune system will produce a strong oxidizer, hypochlorous acid, which is generated in activated neutrophils by myeloperoxidase-mediated peroxidation of chloride ions, and contributes to the destruction of bacteria.[

In summary, always use a diluted solution, wait 30 minutes after applying, rinse well, and air dry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:18 am 

That makes sense to me. Kind of like a restaurant three-sink system. The final rinse is in a highly diluted sanitizing solution.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:38 am 

We have this too (although just a small container inside and a big stinky community one outside) and was also going to say bleach but without all that science stuff. Ours allows for a small amount of paper in the compost so I line the bottom of mine with newspaper. It makes emptying much easier. They also sell compostible compost bags here and that really confine the smell. If you only have a weekly pick up, I would leave it outside as well.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Wino, Mary, Amy,

Thanks! I hadn't thought of the paper thing, but of course that would help. I somehow doubt that a .03% solution of bleach is going to kill off the smelly bacteria, though; I'd have to use something stronger. So I'll try the concentrated orange cleaner, and the bleach, and report back.

The Green Bin itself has a truly stunning odor, but that's in the basement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:15 pm 

And that is the other trick, empty the bucket at least every 2nd day before it starts to stink too much.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:12 am 

Try vinegar.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Laurie,

Funny, I was digging under the sink for the bleach, and found a big bottle of white vinegar, and cleaned the bin with dish soap and vinegar. Seemed to work, at least so far.