Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ideas requested
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:03 pm 

So I am going to be doing a stage as part of the interview process. I need to come up with two items for service on a buffet line and a plated dsssert. I need the plate to be simple and something that will hold for service, it can't need assembly ala minute.
I know that I want to do a variation on coffee cake that I came up with in Anarctica for one buffet item, and probably a caramel pecan bar for the other, but the plate is not coalescing. Part of the problem is that it has be made and eaten the same day. And I don't know if I should do something fancier for this interview than I would do for an actual catered event at this venue. Maybe a striped jaconde cake ring with an interesting filling and a nice tuile? Maybe a trio of small cakes and sauces? I know granita is possible, and I suppose I could bring my ice cream machine with me......The company is interested in local, seasonal, etc. etc.
Too many of the pictures I've been browsing are too complex. This can't have more than three components, just for my peace of mind. You guys have good ideas, please share a few!
Luckily the stage isn't going to be until after the 8th.

Post subject: Re: Ideas requested
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:03 pm 

Hi Becky, my first thought was that you were missing chocolate. Also fresh fruit since it is summer and especially for color since your two other dishes are both tan.

You said made and eaten within how many hours? How far ahead do you have to plate it? Could you do a cake such as the Bittersweet Mousse Cake or the Triple one that can sit plated out of the fridge for a couple of hours? Maybe with a fresh fruit sauce that could be placed on a small spoon for the eater to pour on top?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:47 pm 

Becky,

My brain is a sieve. What's the job you're pursuing? That would help me narrow down what I might suggest.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:03 am 

Head baker for the food service at Beloit College. Made and eaten the same day just means that I can't make anything that needs to rest overnight, or has several chilling cycles. I was thinking a raspberry galette, but they don't hold for service very well, the cookies get soft. Maybe a fresh cherry ravioli, in a vanilla syrup with ginger sorbet/granita? The raviolis and the syrup can get set up, and the sorbet scooped out, then plating is just a matter of placing the sorbet on the plate and running it out.
There are two main dining halls, and occasional special events with catered meals. I suspect that the crew at that point would be students, thus the desire for simple and fast. Also, if they are in different places, who knows what equipment will be available at service.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:30 am 

At the risk of being completely out of line, not being a professional anything lately, CI's pana cotta (July, 2000) with raspberry coulis served in clear glass (I use a martini glass) is visually stunning, easy to make, and delicious.

Equally delicious is their pot de creme (Nov., 2006) topped with whipped cream. Theirs does not require the water bath. Both require 3-4 hours in the fridge to set.

Seasonal stunning is Classic Andalusian Gazpacho Gourmet | August 2002, Adapted from El Faro, Cádiz, Spain. I've served this 3x this week to different groups (all experienced foodies) and all have literally swooned. In the "easiest & best tasting" category, nothing beats it.

Once again, "I dunno nuthin' about pro cookin' ..." but all of these are killer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:19 am 

I like the cherry ravioli idea.

At the restaurant, we do as much "from the farm to the table" (and organic) as possible, buying much of our produce this time of year directly from farmers. (May I just say some of them are a complete hoot!) It's much more expensive that way, so you have to be really creative to keep costs down, which I'm sure as head baker you'll be responsible for that side of the kitchen.

This time of year we're taking advantage of an early peach season. Since you're working with students, easy is an absolute necessity, as you know. I like the idea of something which can be broken down into easy to teach components. How about something like a sauteed peach fricassée with crêpes and crème fraîche mousse? Or, lemon panna cotta (like Wino, I think panna cotta is easy and lovely) with grilled peaches and raspberry sauce? If you have the right size flexipans available, you could do individual cherry/ginger pies with sour cream ice cream.

A few thoughts...

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:08 am 

So you would be responsible for selecting and executing the desserts that are served at the college? Are the dining halls restaurant or buffet style? If they are buffet style, it will have to be super simple. I worked in the dining halls in college (food service was run by Marriott Hot Shoppes after protests in the dining hall and thereat of food riots closed the University down for 2 days). The serving staff was composed exclusively of students and we worked in 3 hour shifts, so little continuity. Food was great but we had to serve a huge number in a short time.

Is the college in summer session so you could see what they have now? I do like the cherry ravioli idea as well btw.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:37 am 

Yep, I would be doing the menu planning. That's why I have two buffet items to do for the self serve lines, and the plated dessert. Panna cotta is sounding good, if it sets up in time. Peaches are good, but all of the local stone fruits got hit hard the early warmth- they started budding and then froze.
Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:40 pm 

Good luck Becky! I'm sure you'll do great.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:47 pm 

No ideas for you, just wanted to say my college's cafeteria sucked.
Mary