Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great kitchen adventures with Kids
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:00 pm 

Just got back from my visit with the family in LA and had great kitchen adventures with my nephew and niece. Their Mom doesn't find cooking enjoyable so I've been their long distant influence, trying to introduce them to new tastes, cuisines and recipes. They've lived a life of Ralphs/Gelsons/Trader Joes prepared foods, pasta, salad, rice/beans, take-out sushi, and a host of other organic frozen foods. But recently they became fans of "Chopped". And out of the blue last Friday my nephew (12 y/o) asked if we (3 adults) would create a box of secret ingredients so that he and his sister (9 y/o) could create a "Chopped" challenge and create meals for us. We embraced the idea after a bit of hurumpphing. I won't go into all the details but the results were, we had 2 evenings of culinary adventures with the budding chefs and they absolutely rallied: took over the kitchen, made us (at first stove-top only - then we graduated to pizza) appetizers, entrees and desserts, using the ingredients in their box plus the "pantry'. The kids were so excited, and the food was really good. We were surprised, and ashamed to be surprised. And now their Mom is looking forward to her kids making dinner once a week!

Just felt the need to share. And gush. Anyone else have stories to share? Might be a nice compilation.

Nance

Post subject: Re: Great kitchen adventures with Kids
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:28 pm 

That is very cool!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:40 pm 

Great creativity -- what did you put in their boxes?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:05 pm 

First-round box had whole wheat flour tortillas, shredded cheese, fresh kale, fresh zucchini, whole pistachio nuts, sun-dried tomato spread, Trader Joes cheetos, yellow pepper rings, black beans, and possibly one other ingredient. We (adults) had a theme in mind to make it easier on the kids but they really pushed it! Plus they used the fridge/pantry to add a few more ingredients and also create very delicious, and creative, desserts. No time limit but all was done in about 30 - 45 minutes. They left the room while we deliberated, and we did judge them on creativity, presentation and use of the ingredients. The kids insisted that we follow the "Chopped" rules. So damn cute...and it was a tie.

2nd round was pizza. They each had one ball of dough and used different toppings on each half. I was their sous chef so was able to recuse myself from judging. My only instructions were "less is more" so that they wouldn't overwhelm with too many ingredients. The kids did such a great job with their pizzas so again it was a tie, much to the angst of their competitive nature.

Best result? They're both excited about cooking now! I've already gotten many texts from them asking for recipes and help to make dinner this weekend. They want to make my 2-turkey chili. I'm so proud :)

Nance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:39 pm 

Pic of their final pizzas. They are toasting with their special drinks, Snapple and Root Beer, 'cause the adults have wine :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.