Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I just realized...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am 

that I remodeled my kitchen over 15 years ago and I still love it as though I had just done the remodel yesterday. The one thing that I thought I would have liked to change after I had finished the job was my sink. At the time, the undermount sinks for Granite Countertops were around, but I didn't realize it at the time and I installed a drop in Stainless. A few years ago, I read somewhere where people were having problems with the edges chipping off their countertops around the sink. I am happy that I didn't go that route in the long run.
Does anybody have any, "Geez, I wish I would have done that or put in one of those in my kitchen"?

Post subject: Re: I just realized...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:07 pm 

I have a wish I hadn't...we had corian installed in the last kitchen and I hated it. It scuffed, stained and was completely overpriced. I'll never do it again. But I loved my copper sink. Couldn't afford to have a copper sink now :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:13 pm 

talanhart wrote:
A few years ago, I read somewhere where people were having problems with the edges chipping off their countertops around the sink. I am happy that I didn't go that route in the long run.
Does anybody have any, "Geez, I wish I would have done that or put in one of those in my kitchen"?

That's good to know Todd. I've always loved the idea of those, but hearing that, I'll never do it.

While I didn't have a say in the design of this house, I've got white porcelain sinks. What a major PITA. When it comes time to renovate, I'm going with stainless.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:40 pm 

I did my kitchen 10 years ago and put in a small 3rd sink near the range....I hardly ever use it and wish I hadn't done it. I would have been better off with the counter space.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:35 pm 

We remodeled about 6 years ago and I am still quite happy. I wish I would have checked that my oven was all self cleaning, it is a Miele and only the back wall is self cleaning. I don't know whose brilliant invention that was. We also got a built in soap dispenser that is useless. That is all, unless having a bigger house to put a bigger kitchen into could be counted as a regret.

Mary

Also check out houzz. I have the app (they have a website), it is addictive and depressing, 2 of my favorite things

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:14 pm 

Hi,

Six years ago an no regrets. My best decision was to sink a full size fridge 6"s into a wall (1" plaster plus lath plus mesh). Couple that with 15" deep uppers and 30" lower cabinets, resulting in a cabinet depth fridge.

We were extremely lucky to have a small local company, customized cabinets, but just big enough to have catalytic conversion varnish.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:15 pm 

Amy wrote:

While I didn't have a say in the design of this house, I've got white porcelain sinks. What a major PITA. When it comes time to renovate, I'm going with stainless.

Amy

I hear ya. I hate porcelain sinks. It's so much easier to break stuff in them and they are approximately 82 times more difficult to keep clean. I mean, with stainless, you can just give the sink a quick swipe with a scrubber after using it. With porcelain there's cleansers and rubber gloves (because I can't stand the feel of cleanser) and bleach -- Grrr.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:08 pm 

One of our counters is an odd, low height. It seemed great at the time, but I think I was 13, and still shorter than I am now.
However, when we opened up the back wall and added the eat-in half of the space, that was grand!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:29 pm 

marygott wrote:
Also check out houzz. I have the app (they have a website), it is addictive and depressing, 2 of my favorite things

Must delete browsing history before wife finds website!

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

Um ... I bought a new fridge? It's OK?