Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are the rest of you gardeners planting out there?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:06 am 

Anything new? Anything strange? I'm always growing SOMETHING, even in the winter, but this is my busiest time of year, and I have a bunch of new veggies, mostly greens. I got some big stem mustard, heading mustard, choy sum, misome, and two new komatsunas. I also got some shogoin, which is a large radish that grows above ground, with a huge head of greens on it, as well as the usual new varieties of peppers, tomatoes, squash, eggplant, and a few other things. And a bunch more of those Mexicna sour gherkins I grew last year, which I didn't have enough of. No new herbs that I can think of...but that could change.

Has anyone noticed that more people are growing food these days? I noticed it last year, and I'll bet a lot more will be trying to save money this year, but if they really wanted to save they would be starting from seed, like me. Some of the prices they charge for vegetable plants won't even be recovered with what they grow. But, it takes time...worth it though, in the end, esp. with those items you simply can't find anywhere but in the garden.

Dave

Last edited by pepperhead212 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What are teh rest of you gardeners planting out there?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:33 am 

Dave
I rarely plant veggies...all herbs, some fruit and colorful flowers. I just checked and the perennial herbs are doing well, so just need to add a few basil varieties. I might plant an heirloom tomato, just to have on hand. I am a big supporter of local farmers, so I go to our Sunday Farmers Market and buy produce. I know it would save money if I planted a veggie garden, but I don't want the small family farms to suffer.
Here in CO, home gardens are also growing (just had to)....famillies are planting more veggie gardens and Slow Food is working with Denver Public Schools to do gardens on school grounds. We even have the kids do a "farmers market" during harvest than hold a big dinner for their familes in the Fall. I think we have the program in 7 schools now. its amazing to see kids respond to beans that didn't come from a can.
ilene

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:55 am 

I've ordered my seeds, still to early to plant here in MI, but I am looking forward to the garden. Ours is about 15 X 25. I have ordered 2 varieties of corn, carrots, cukes, beets, butternut and buttercup squash, pumpkins, gourds, cantelope, watermelon, strawberry plants, a couple varieties of letuce. I will pick up tomato, peppers and brocolli plants. I want to find tomatillo plants or seeds, to try this year as well. Can't wait for the fresh produce and the farmers markets to get going!

Laurie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:54 pm 

This will be my first garden, so I am keeping it simple. Tomatoes and peppers (They are doing their sprouty thing right now.), carrots, beets, corn, and some herbs. I also joined a CSA. If it goes well, I am considering strawberries and asparagus next year. I will definitely do garlic next year. I just wasn't quick enough on the ball this autumn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:51 pm 

My strawberry's were in the mailbox when I got home. It's 28 degrees and snowing! :evil: Ugggggg. I called they claim they will be fine in a cool dark place for several weeks. They have nice green sprouts on them, so I'm not so sure. Anyone have any experience with strawberrys'?

Laurie