Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pictures
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:30 am 

The First picture is the Sweet and Salty Cake I baked a couple of weeks ago. I snapped the picture before I wiped the frosting off the rim. This was one tall cake!

The Second picture is the Sign Language symbol for "I Love You". I cut this on my Cricut. I was asked to make this for a Deaf friend of mine who's husband died about a month ago. She has a generic looking SUV and Kathy thought that putting these cutouts on her windows would help her find her car. My friend Lorraine loved them.

The Third and Fourth picture is a loaf of Banana Bread that I baked. It is the recipe that MJ posted. This was a beauty. I was very pleased that it didn't have any huge cracks in the top. Everybody that ate it said it was very good.

Post subject: Re: Pictures
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:36 pm 

Todd,

The cake looks great! The banana bread doesn't look to shabby either. I can't wait to bake that cake, I'll probably wait for company so there is someone to help us eat it. I'm afraid I will love it to much if I don't!

The sign is a good idea. Don't you just love the cricut. My daughter just used it to make some signage for our business. They look very professional

Laurie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:38 am 

Thanks for the photos, all looks so yummy. Since you mentioned that Cricut thing I have wanted one fiercely and have no idea what I would use it for. I do teach at a pre-school so I imagine it would be quite useful.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Todd,

What is a Cricut? I went to their website, but the site seems to assume you already know what one is.

BTW, you might want to add something to the decal on your car ... by itself it could be assumed to be a "Metal" music hand-signal rather than ASL.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:52 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Todd,

What is a Cricut? I went to their website, but the site seems to assume you already know what one is.

BTW, you might want to add something to the decal on your car ... by itself it could be assumed to be a "Metal" music hand-signal rather than ASL.

Back in the day, a few intrepid scrapbookers figured out how to use modified architects' plotters to cut out shapes and letters. A few machines (whose names I can't recall) were made and, as one scrapper put it, "anyone who can use Excel, can use one." Therein lay the rub. The Cricut works either with cartridges or you can pay for a software packages that allows you to download more fonts and graphics -- all at an additional charge, of course. I've heard tell that there are a few hacks out there, though. It will cut paper, even cardstock, and it can be used on self-adhesive vinyl, if it's not too heavy.

When we have a sale on the cartridges, it looks like one of those old Mervyns commercials, with women standing outside, going "Open Open Open".

Provocraft's newest spendy toy is the Yudu -- basically a silk-screening gizmo. You can also use it to remove ugly duct tape and help the homeless. I get to demo it on Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 am 

There is a software program called Sure Cuts A Lot that lets you cut anything you want with your Cricut. Had I been limited to using only cartridges, I would not have bought this machine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:03 pm 

BTW, you might want to add something to the decal on your car ... by itself it could be assumed to be a "Metal" music hand-signal rather than ASL.[/quote]

I talked to Kathy last night and she doesn't think it's going to be a problem.