Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flickr Photo Hosting
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:15 am 

I just read this at one of my LasVegas sites.

Flickr Users Beware - While not Las Vegas related, I imagine we have a significant number of Flickr (public photo sharing website) in our audience. Flickr is a very popular service, but don't count on them to keep your photos or care what happens to them. This is especially important to those of you who upload your photos to Flickr without also copying them to your computer:

We here had a paid Flickr photo account and had uploaded around 3000 Las Vegas photos to their site. They were all ours (or a handful of PR photos we had permission to use). No copyright violations or content violations. In addition, we didn't use Flickr to spam our information. IE, we didn't post links to our site under the photos.

We DID spend well over 100 hours working to be an upstanding member of the Flickr community. We added descriptions to our photos, geotagged them (put on a map where they were taken) and were active in the Flickr community.

Without warning, Flickr deactivated our account. A paid account. To add insult to injury, it took nearly a month to get a reply as to why (and only after a repeated requests). Their support person was downright rude and pretty much simply said that they don't have to tell anyone or give a reason for deactivating an account. Could it have been done by mistake or by someone overzealous who failed to check that we owned the photos and they don't want to own up to the mistake? We'll never know.

What we do know is that our photos vanished and over a hundred hours of hard work to be part of the Flickr community vanishes as well. From a paid account. Without warning. A web search found instances where this had happened to others as well. My advice? Use Flickr to post photos at your own risk. If you wake up one day and they are gone (including any community contacts you have created), Flickr won't notify you or care. Even if you have a paid account.

Post subject: Re: Flickr Photo Hosting
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Todd,

SmugMug is a paid-only service, and very customer-responsive. I've been with them for 2 years. Also, their technology is better than Flickr's.