Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How hot is it where you are.....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:55 am 

and what are you making food wise to accomodate the heat? I'm running out of ideas. Gazpacho, salads, grilled chook.

When I got up this a.m. it was 78 at 6:00, and we are expecting 100+ this afternoon. It's hotter here than it is in the San Joaquin Valley.

Post subject: Re: How hot is it where you are.....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:45 am 

Hi,

Yesterday it was only 38 degrees in my car; I had bumped something on the steering wheel and it had returned to Germany. I also have the ability to take my wife's car back to Mexico with a single steering typo.

I have a pound of crab meat and need a good salad recipe. Any recommendations.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:09 am 

Tim, have you been smoking some kind of funny pipe?

It is sweltering hot here as well (I'm in Ohio for the week). The problem is we are going to be at a racetrack for the next few days; nothing good to eat there. I'll be subsisting on greasy track dogs, soggy pizza and dinner with friends at some kind of TGI McFunster's. However, there is a fresh lemonade stand at the track. I'll be getting sunburned and overheated because there is precious little shade, and to add to the misery we may be sleeping in our VW Westfalia (I love sleeping in it but not when it's 95 degrees during the day and 80 overnight).

While we are at our friends' house we have been enjoying great Hungarian food and inexplicably my husband requested chicken and dumplings. Not a great hot weather food! But I made it - thank goodness for A/C.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:30 am 

You don't want to know what the weather is here...

As we are fond of saying, "another beautiful day in paradise."

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 am 

At 10:30 last night it was still 87 degrees out. Almost enough to get me to apply to got back to the Ice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:44 am 

At 11:00 last night it was 91º. This morning when I left for work it was only 80º. Today is supposed to be the hottest day yet. I remember days of 100º plus when I was younger and now it seems that everybody gets all worked up when the temperatures are in the 90's here.
As for food, a friend of mine brought me a Zucchini and some Blue Lake Green Beans and I cooked them in an electric skillet that I have her at work. They were so good that everybody else in the lunch room had a some also. Today, it's back to an Apple for lunch. Last night, I had a Ham Salad sandwich and a fudgesicle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:55 am 

Amy wrote:
You don't want to know what the weather is here...Amy

Actually, I do. A lot of the travel sites I go to, hype Telluride and Aspen during the summer off season. You mean it's not cool and "rocky mountain high in Colorado?????"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:27 am 

It's been hotter than Hades for the past week or so and will continue on through next week. It's been a little over 100 every day and feels like a blast oven. The grandsons have been with us and for some reason they absolutely love this. The garden hose has really gotten a workout.

As far as food, we've been "picnicing". Watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches, nectarines, corn on the cob, fried chicken from Popeye's, ham sandwiches, BLT's, lots of tomatoes from the market, salads, pickled beets, big pot of green beans with ham and a huge pan of macaroni & cheese that I made the other night and baked at 6:30 next morning. I could live like this for a long time.

The neighbor's plums turned out to be not so good for cooking. Easy to peel but impossible to get the seeds out. So, we're just eating them and the kids have seed spitting contests. I suspect we'll have a plum orchard in a couple of years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:28 am 

It's been hot in Denver...upper 90's, but the beauty is that it cools to mid 60's every night and while the humidity is high for Denver, it is really low compared to the mid west and east. No complaints about the weather here.
I had company for the last 5 days (from So Carolina escaping the heat); Monday I packed a picnic and drove 45 minutes to Evergreen Lake (part of Denver's mountain park system) and enjoyed lunch lakeside and 15 degrees cooler.
We've been eating out, but the one night we ate home, I made pizza's.

ilene

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:34 am 

KSyrahSyrah wrote:
Actually, I do. A lot of the travel sites I go to, hype Telluride and Aspen during the summer off season. You mean it's not cool and "rocky mountain high in Colorado?????"

No, I mean it's absolutely gorgeous here. (I just didn't want to rub it in too much.)

We've had torrential rain a couple of days this week (one of which triggered a mudslide, and Andy couldn't get home), but other than that, mid 80s, and (as Ilene points out) humid by Colorado standards, which is actually pretty welcome in these parts.

Amy