Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: To Russia With Love
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:03 pm 

Frank
Congrats to you and "M" and post pictures soon
ilene

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:08 am 

The older 6 year old is Natalie..also known as # 1 when Mother or I wish to talk about her without her knowng it...a short lived victory however sweet. She LOVES salad, does not seem to like milk and puts fruit juice on her cereal, she drinks hot tea, water or fruit juice with all her meals, does not seem to like beef but likes white meat (chicken or pork) inhales bananas in a manner that would shame a chimp. She is missing all her top front teeth except her canines...looks a lot like a litte vampire...I fear her greatly.. :shock: She weighs a whopping 39 lbs. and is obsessive compulsive...everything must be in it's place....I see counselling in her future. :lol:

# 2, Sarah, is 5 years old and weighs in at 36 lbs. She is a little goofball with quick wit and a mischievious smile...she loves to get Daddy any way she can. She really has few dislike as far as food...beef or darker meats excluded. Niether liked soda when tried...I like that and hope it holds. They are both going with Mom today to the beauty shop for a new doo and will meet Daddy at SouperSalad for lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:57 am 

Your post just made me smile! What a great day for all.

L

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:17 pm 

Sounds like you're going to need to develop a quick recipe for chicken chili--Sandra's in CI is really good!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:01 pm 

Aw Frank, now I have a big lump in my throat and I am usually tough as nails. Enjoy them both, time goes so quickly. At the end of the month I will have 2 teenagers (and if you think she is scary now...).

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:59 pm 

Oh Frank, that's so nice. I got a little misty reading. Best wishes to all of you, and keep the stories coming. Before too long, you have some whoppers - perhaps to even top the coconut pie saga.

trinket.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:45 pm 

My very best to you and your brand new family! You are in for more joy than you can imagine. And thank goodness for that...it will compensate for the not-so-fun times! 5 & 6 are wonderful ages....they are such sponges and so willing to help and learn and love.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:21 am 

Thank you all for the encouragement...I am in the process of redefining "normal" so when asked by friends if things are back to "normal" I usually respond with a puzzled look and a "I'm not sure"

Yesterday after the new hair doo and lunch with "Papa" they came to my work and met my co-workers. Mama then went to various friends to show them off. When I arrived home the girls and Mama began Supper and the girls helped set the table and anywhere else they could. After they finished their pasta, various salads, some chicken breast, a banana, and orange each we went on walk of about three miles. (Note to self...look into buying bicycles for girls, 4 wheeler for Dad.)

These lil critters are walking machines...we went thru a grassy field behind our local lakes dam...there was not a wildflower that was safe and Mama & Papa had quite a bouquet by the end of the walk. Given their raccoon tenancies I kept them away from water fearing they might start digging for crayfish or perusing the aforementioned frogs.

They continued to chatter non stop in Russian to each other and Mama and I make up what we think they might be saying...things like..."we can bury their bodies here and no one will ever find them."

When we got home #1 crawled up in my lap as I enjoyed my recliner...she loved on Papa for a bit and then left...next thing I remember was staggering to bed about 3:30 AM.

I got up about 5:00 and went and looked in on them, covered # 1 and noticed that our 11 yr old Black Lab "Bull" (that they still are not sure of) had migrated back to their bed room from his normal position on the rug beside my recliner and in front of the fire place. He knows that they are scared of him but really wants to love on them; he was fast asleep right beside their bed.

Note to Lindsay...that did not go unnoticed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:01 am 

You can get them into swimming lessons for the summer-they will learn more English and meet some of their future classmates. And you'll have time for a nap!
Enjoy your great adventure, all of you.
If you let them help with the smoker they might be more interested in beef. Not that it's big deal if they aren't.
BeckyH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:22 am 

The last few days have been filled with meeting more friends and family, working on keeping the house picked up, and learning English. Over the weekend we met Aunt Barbara and her kids and cousin Robin and her friend Blake. We had a fun Easter egg hunt in the back yard and some time on the swings at the park. Being with their new cousins helped Natalie and Sarah pick up some English.

The girls love ice cream (just like every other kid) and are constantly asking for it. “мороженое” [ma-rozh-nigh-yah] is heard in the car, at the kitchen table, and almost any other time and place you can think of. Sunday afternoon when we were coming home from Grandma’s house they said, “мороженое” and we said, “We don’t understand Russian.” The girls responded, “We want ice cream!!” I guess they were motivated to learn that English phrase.!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6