Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's off-season!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:44 pm 

The restaurant closed for the season on Saturday night, and we spent the last two days cleaning and de-greasing both kitchens. Deep cleaning a commercial kitchen is quite the task, and as well, we shrink-wrapped absolutely every pot, pan, cambro, utensil, plate, and almost one Chef. ;) The walk-in is empty, with the leftover contents heading down to our other restaurant in Durango.

The Spring off-season is considerably longer than the Fall one, and with the exception of doing some menu planning, I'm off for the next six weeks. I'm spending two of those weeks traveling to NY and SC, but other than that I'm free as a bird. I'm going to go to the desert, maybe even this coming weekend, and I'm going to do a big Spring cleaning with the house, but other than that, I don't know what to do with myself!

Amy

Post subject: Re: It's off-season!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:47 pm 

That sounds like a whole lot of serious cleaning. Curious -- why do you shrink wrap the pots?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:51 pm 

Rhonda wrote:
That sounds like a whole lot of serious cleaning. Curious -- why do you shrink wrap the pots?

It is a whole lot of serious cleaning. Thank God we have the line kitchen walls and floors power-washed, and the hoods professionally done.

Spring is notoriously dusty in Telluride. Two years ago during the end-of-season street party on Main St. all of the sudden the sky turned red, and no, I'm not kidding. It felt like half of Utah's red dirt was in the air. By shrink-wrapping absolutely everything, we can walk into the kitchen on May 23 and immediately begin prepping...virtually no clean-up required...just a quick sani rinse on the counters, etc.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:58 pm 

Amy wrote:
Spring is notoriously dusty in Telluride. Two years ago during the end-of-season street party on Main St. all of the sudden the sky turned red, and no, I'm not kidding. It felt like half of Utah's red dirt was in the air. By shrink-wrapping absolutely everything, we can walk into the kitchen on May 23 and immediately begin prepping...virtually no clean-up required...just a quick sani rinse on the counters, etc.

Amy

That makes sense. I had no idea.

And for Q2, just keep your cowboy hat with you, and I'll bet you you'll find fun no matter what you do on break! 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:30 pm 

Enjoy your time off Amy.

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:37 pm 

I know you work really hard during the season and surely deserve this break but still, wow, I am so very jealous. 6 weeks off, in a row. I haven't enjoyed that amount of time off since I was 14 and let me tell you, that was a loooong time ago.
Enjoy and relish it!
Nance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:49 pm 

Nance,

Trust me, I know what it's like to work non-stop, so I am looking forward to this break.

This afternoon I'm going to sous vide some chicken and then make my (in)famous chicken salad. It's got a lot of summer flavors, and I'm looking forward to it!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:15 pm 

Congrats on the end of the season! I'm sure you will dive right into something amazing.

We have those dirt storms too. Easily predicted by timing about a two day window after I hose off the deck. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:27 pm 

Let me know if you plan on coming to Denver to visit your cousin....we are long overdue for a visit.
ilene

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:23 pm 

Amy wrote:
snip...
This afternoon I'm going to sous vide some chicken and then make my (in)famous chicken salad. It's got a lot of summer flavors, and I'm looking forward to it!

Amy

amy...you should post your salad recipe here, it is fantastic.