Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tips and Tricks (Not cooking related)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:13 pm 

Now that's a piece of information that I've got to work into a conversation somehow -- esp. then telling people my source is a food bulletin board.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:13 pm 

crystal wrote:
... and raccoons--the last time we grew corn, the raccoons would wait(I swear) until the corn was ready, climb the stalk, break it over, and eat on the corn.

My brothers took a battery powered radio and put it amidst the corn, rocking out 24/7 (sheltered from rain). It kept the raccoons out for the most part. Since my brothers have dispatched a few raccoons, the raccoons have figured out to avoid people and the sound is apparently enough to make them wary.

We have a problem with the raccoons eating all the cat food we have for the barnyard cats. The cats know to leave the raccoons alone, thank goodness, and of course we keep them vaccinated. Raccoons are cute but they are vicious and will eat you out of house and home if you let them. My youngest brother is a real softie animal-lover, but even he is hardened enough to shoot baby raccoons (and that takes some hardening...don't know if I could do it).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:04 am 

crystal wrote:
Living in Podunk has it's own complications. Deer, rabbits, and raccoons--

Let me add three more for this Podunk resident...mountain lions, bobcats and coyotes. I think they may leave a garden alone, but I'm not as certain about my dog.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:05 am 

we camp in provicial parks and the racoons there are fearless. they can operate zippers and I'm sure remove hitches.
i've had them in jump into our food baskets that was on the bench right next to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:26 am 

I have friend who used to work at the Grand Canyon. They were so bad there that the rangers would go out and pick them off with .22's whenever there weren't tourists around to get horrified.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:23 am 

We have had lots of turkeys, 'coons, ferrets, coyotes, a wolf, AND a bear I evidently brought here because I put the birdseed out by the birdfeeder. (According to son, birdseed is their favorite) We also have a skunk - a friendly skunk - that comes toward Honey when he goes out. The outdoor lights that come on automatically have dealt somewhat effectively with the wildlife problem. Nocturnal animals are frightened by sudden light (unless it's a deer; then it'll run out in front of it.

As for the dryer sheets, I think if they have oleander in them, they do work.

For squirrels (we have lots of them) I put mothballs in the attic. I do not use mothballs for clothes. I hang "No Pest Strips" in our closets. They are odorless, and work! I don't have to put the clothes away, either (I'm lazy.)