Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My dog killed my computer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:25 pm 

Your Apple's hard disk should have a "Sudden Motion Sensor" that theoretically would protect the hard drive if that happens (unless it fell off the roof or something). Don't pass up the option for data recovery just yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Pete,

That depends on how old her Mac was. The SMS was added for the Intel MacBooks, no?

Anyway, what Amy would need to do is get someone to take the HDD out of the computer and put it in an external HDD enclosure, then try attaching it to a Mac.

She'll have to decide if the help of a paid computer geek is worth it, if it's only 2-3 days' data.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:58 pm 

Is it out of warranty? Closest Apple Store is in Colorado Springs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:52 pm 

Josh,

I have an Intel Mac, it's only two years old.

Out of warranty, yes.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:03 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
That depends on how old her Mac was. The SMS was added for the Intel MacBooks, no?
SMS was added starting 1/2005 with the last couple generations of PowerBook G4s (It's a feature of the HDD itself, not the computer). While the SMS is good for minimizing (note that I specifically did NOT say 'preventing') HDD damage if the computer is bumped/jostled/carried (or even if it is placed too close to your thumpin' subwoofer), a hard enough jolt can still scramble the remainder of the tiny, delicate parts within your hard drive OR shatter the platters themselves (quite a few HDDs use platters made of glass).

(link to handy HDD primer)

I am assuming you were using Apple's built-in "Time Machine" backup service. If so, that's great news. The only* way to make sure your data always survives is to make sure it exists in more than one place (ie, physical location). Any Mac users who are running OS X 10.5 "Leopard" or newer should take advantage of it. Anyone running a PC has several packages to choose from.

Option A: Purchase 2TB USB external disk and backup software
-Initial external drive and software: Less than $200.
-Cost of replacement internal drive: About $100.
-Time to restore computer to working order: A few hours, overnight at worst.

Option B: Have data professionally recovered from failed drive
-Initial expenditure: $0
-Cost to have 1TB drive professionally recovered: $500-$2500 (or more, depending on severity)
-Cost of replacement internal drive: About $100.
-Time to restore computer to working order: 4-14 days.

Additionally, option A (usually) allows you to recover from sudden attacks of crap-I-didn't-mean-to-delete-that syndrome with a minimum of fuss.

--GeekBoy
*Anyone who says otherwise is on track for a very big surprise in their future, and it won't be a pleasant one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:22 pm 

Geekboy,

Yes, I use Time Machine to back up onto an external drive. I'm resigned to the fact my HDD is dead. I have to drive over Red Mountain Pass (image google it to see how harrowing it can be) to get to the nearest tech shop to replace it. Sigh...

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:59 am 

Geekboy,

I just signed up for Carbonite backup, took about 4 days to get all my initial backup done (12 Gb) what are your thought on this route? I like not having to remember to back up my files.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 am 

Honestly? Whatever works for you, do that. It's far less important how they get backed up so long as they are backed up. If your drive dies, you won't care that you have to go through 100 scattered floppies, a couple dozen CDs, and a stack of thumb drives...you'll just be glad you have it all. Having it all in one place does make things easier, though.

Carbonite (and other online or "cloud" backup) has the advantage that it is not located in your home. This is great if your belongings are lost to fire, etc. The trade-off is that accessing/updating it is usually really slow (limited by your connection speed), so the backup is usually limited to essentials rather than creating a whole bootable replacement of everything. There is also usually a subscription fee, and there may be concerns about the fact that the cloud people potentially have access to your backups (e.g. if the company goes under, or if your data is highly sensitive/secret).

More "personal" or ad-hoc solutions (external hard drive, stuff burned to CDs*, etc) have no subscription and are more readily accessible, but they require more vigilance on your part, since you are responsible for keeping them up-to-date and stored safely. Any really good backup program (assuming it is marketed towards regular people) should have some sort of automatic "set it and forget it" option built-in, but keeping the backups secure is still your responsibility.

--GeekBoy
*If you are burning a CD/DVD for archival backup, make sure to burn it at the slowest speed possible, and then store it away from sunlight. This will maximize the lifespan for that disc. Also, stay away from -RW discs if you want your data to survive long-term storage.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:52 pm 

Geekboy wrote:
Carbonite (and other online or "cloud" backup) has the advantage that it is not located in your home. This is great if your belongings are lost to fire, etc.

A dear friend of mine lost everything to a fire a while back, and I do mean everything, including her back-up hard drive. Since then, I've been thinking about a cloud, now I'm convinced I'm going to do it.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:51 pm 

We are moving towards using an off site server for our office stuff, for now I put my notebook computer in the clouds...seems to be working. I would be a dead man if I lost all my "pooter" info.. :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next