Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Use and care of vintage dishes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:01 am 

I have been collecting some lovely approx 6" dessert/salad plates - small ivory colored with gold trim. Some are Alfred Meakin, some Crown Pottery, etc, I think they are about 30's-40's vintage.

After using them the other night for serving cake (yes this is party related), I put them carefully in a dishpan, then in the morning put some warm soapy water in the dishpan and let them soak for a few hours before I got around to hand washing/drying them (I had such a gigantic mess from everything else).

I know, I did not need to let them soak that long but that sugary glaze had hardened pretty good. As I was drying them I noticed that I had slightly darkened marks, like smudges, all on the main surface of the plate, seemingly related to where the little bit of crazing is. Only one kind, the Crown Pottery, did this.

I am wondering if the soaking got water into the material somehow??? Will this go away with time as they dry, will they dry??

Are there any tips and tricks for using this vintage dishware? I would never put them in the DW and now I see that any soaking may be a no-no as well.

Comments?

Post subject: Re: Use and care of vintage dishes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 am 

Set them out to air dry for a couple of days. Do not stack while drying. If the spot doesn't go away after a few days, try a VERY weak solution of peroxide and water applied with a Q-tip. This generally removes dark spots. Try this on one plate only until you see if it works or not. It shouldn't do any damage to your plates, just may not work.

I collect old plates, too, and have used this many times. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

And you're right, you shouldn't soak, especially if they are gold trimmed.

fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 am 

I own a great deal of vintage porcelain I inherited from my grandmother. I agree with Fitzie's suggestion. Nobody washes this stuff, except me. I also own a complete set of Limoge china (our wedding china) which gets treated with even more deference. I don't use it terribly often because it's such a PITA to take care of, but, sigh...it is so beautiful.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:02 am 

Thanks you guys.

Amy, I am curious what pattern L. china you have. I've got some individual pieces but oh la la a SET. Neat.

It would be fun to post photos of our dishes and servewear. We seem to have beaten the cookware thing to death. This stuff adds such personality to the kitchen and appeal to a table (afterall who cares what color your LC was when it comes time for final presentation and consumption!).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:06 am 

Lynn,

Sorry, I meant Lalique, and it's called Lupine.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:21 am 

Happy to share pics of what I've inherited...

I got these from my grandmother...I've got about half a dozen bone china demitasse cups in various patterns. I typically use them to serve an amuse bouche of soup.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:35 pm 

Beautiful and what a creative suggestion on the soup! Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm 

Fitzie, I am trying your peroxide suggestion on one plate right now - I assume I am supposed to leave it be for a little while then rinse?

A few of the others have improved with your non-stacked drying this afternoon. We'll see how the dilute peroxide works. I am also trying it full strength on a white poly cutting board that I can not seem to whiten back up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:35 pm 

Let me offer one additional suggestion. Allow them to dry for a good bit of time beyond when you think they're dry. I sell antiques glass and dishware, and several times I've thought pieces were dry and they weren't..........it wasn't a pretty sight.......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:25 pm 

Apply the weakened peroxide solution and let it air dry. After 24 hours, rinse and let it air dry again.