Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: whatchya been up to...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:49 pm 

Hi everyone,
I'm Michelle. I joined the CI BB a few years back when all of you regulars were still posting a lot. I really enjoyed it and have missed your insight. I still read and post there, but it's nice to have another place to chat about food! I am a RN who works weekends and stays at home with the kids during the week. I also have a mid-day job giving a diabetic child his insulin at school. It works out really nice for me because I'm available to do all the mom stuff that has to be done during the week like shuttling them to and from school, karate, dance, soccer, etc. I also usually have time to do whatever cooking and baking I want to do. I just make sure to have leftovers for the weekends when I go to work and everything works out pretty well. I love to try new recipes and my real passion is baking. Unfortunately I can't eat everything I want to bake!!! I struggle with picky children who don't want to try anything new. Thanks Fuzzy for creating this great board!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:16 pm 

Hi ; )

I'm Kati. I live in suburban Detroit with my husband, Geekboy, and 4 cats. I just started posting on CI's BB a few months ago after a hiatus of about 2 years. It's certainly not the same. Even though I vowed on my return not to become a peevish, sarcastic, know-it-all, I pretty much failed right out of the gate. ; )

I will be on my best behavior, I swear.

I check Fuzzy's blog about once a month. The last time was about 3 days before the BB went up, naturally.

Mostly, I've just been doing what I always do: cooking, reading, and playing video games. The newest twist is that I have to feed the 2 of us on $10/day and I've recently decided that I need to do that as organically as possible.

It's fantastic to see everyone. Thanks Fuzzy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:31 pm 

Kati,
I'd really love to hear some of your menus on how you are doing the $10 per day for two. I've tried to cut our costs, out of principle mostly. Just when I think how frugal I am I summarize my grocery bills and it adds up to what looks like an enormous sum.

Lynn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

JesBelle,

I'd advise growing some of your own vegetables and especially herbs then.

Also, Asian and Latin American cuisine tends to be much easier on the budget than European/American.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:30 pm 

Fuzzy,

We dug up a good-sized chunk of yard in the fall for exactly that purpose.

As for my menus, it's not that hard to show them to you. I have to plan them out 2 weeks in advance. Luckily, I've never been that enamored of sponteneity.

Today: Pad Thai
Sunday: Arroz con Pollo and Orange/Avocado Salad
Monday: Thai Peanut Chicken Salad on Tortillas
Tuesday: Spaghetti Bolognese and Caesar Salad
Wednesday: Meatloaf, Roasted Squash, and Mixed Green Salad
Thursday: Pork Lo Mein
Friday: Fisherman's Stew and Rosemary Focaccia
Saturday: Beef Stroganoff and Roasted Sweet Potatoes (splurged a little)

Lunches are leftovers. Breakfast is Homemade Granola and strong tea.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:47 pm 

Renee, Welcome to the rewarding world of education! I hope you take it on full time. Better ways of making lots of money, but not many are as rewarding! We sure need good teachers. And I DO love my summers!

Best of luck.

Janet

makennasmom wrote:
Hi All,

I have been substitute teaching the past few months and have been surprisingly enjoying the work. I just landed a long term Spanish sub position that begins next month. The teacher is taking off 3 months for maternity leave and I will be taking over. This is an excellent opportunity for me, as I am currently working on getting myself certified as a Spanish teacher, and it will give me valuable experience.

Renee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:05 am 

Kati, it's good to see you after so many years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 pm 

Tiffany, good to see you, too. I wish I were in an artsy-fartsy Foridian enclave, too, instead of freezing my butt off in Michigan. ; ) Glad to hear that you're enjoying your new career.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:41 pm 

Jesbelle, Somehow in the many times I have perused this thread, I have missed your location. Exactly where are you? I grew up in northern Pontiac. Mom is still there. I have never had tomatoes or corn as good as I did in Michigan. Sure don't miss winters. :o

janet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:33 pm 

Janet,

I'm in Southfield. I love that I can get a huge variety of food here, but that's about it. I'll never trust a city that doesn't have a dowtown. I grew up near K'zoo and lived in that city for about 10 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next