All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Log me on automatically each visit
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:23 pm 

Thank you for the clarification.
N

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:28 am 

FIREFOX:
For those having trouble with staying logged on (a cookie issue), I recently had similar problems with Google Toolbar (could not access my google bookmarks) even though I had Firefox set to allow cookies. Here is what solved it:

Go to Tools/Options/Privacy/Exceptions

Now in the "Address of web site" box, type in: bb.fuzzychef.org and then click the ALLOW button.

This should set it so it will always allow cookies for this site. I was suprised it was required to specify the site I was having trouble with as I thought all sites would be able to leave cookies unless they were blocked. Even the google tech guy was surprised when I found this solution because he didn't know about it either.

IE 7.0:
There is a similar setting for IE that I have used in the past to solve this kind of problem. Do this:

Click on Start/Control Panel/Security Center

Scroll down to Virus Protection. Here you should see Internet Options - click that.

Now, click the Privacy tab and then click Sites.

In the "Address of site" box, type in: bb.fuzzychef.org and then click ALLOW.

Further notes:
If you have a Firewall, you may have to do something similar to these types of ALLOW settings within your firewall depending on how much security has been set. Also, some anti-virus "suite" programs have these types of ALLOW settings too.

So don't give up until you've found all of them and set them all to ALLOW. On one computer I had, I had to set ALLOW in 2 different places regularly to get things to work properly. I pulled out a lot of hair until I figured that out.

Hope that helps someone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:09 am 

Thanks Leena. I tried that, we'll see if it works. Yesterday, after I was so giddy that I had fixed it, I realized it still didn't work. With computer issues I always assume operator error.

trink.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

Trinket,

Yeah, that's because the folks in Redmond have done a bang-up job for years convincing people that their software is perfect and you're just stupid. Take my word for it as a software programmer: 100% of software has bugs, and most software has many bugs. When a software person says "the issue is on your end" at least half the time he's saying "I don' wanna fix it. Go away."

Leena,

Thanks for posting that! Hopefully it helps fix people's cookie issues. I don't know why Firefox would be set up to "default DENY" on cookies, though ... I've never had that on any of my machines.

I've added your directions to the new Board HOWTO.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:25 pm 

Hi Fuzzy,

Nope, Firefox is not set up to "default DENY" - it's set up to "default ALLOW". The problem is that somehow default ALLOW just isn't enough for some sites (such as google, where I experienced my problem). The only thing that fixed it was to go in and specify ALLOW for the site I had trouble accessing. This same flawed default concept goes for IE too based on past problems I've solved by doing the ALLOW routine. So I surmise that perhaps this board is the same - maybe so, maybe not. At least it's something valid to try that works for some accessibility problems.

I'm not a programmer and was surprised when google had no tech feedback for me when I posted this in their help group. And I was even more surprised when the tech guide there was also surprised to learn that this simple step solved the problem. He ended up using my fix that I stumbled on to add to their Help content for other users. I still can't believe they had no record of this. I guess some people just give up, quit troubleshooting and never report the problem - that would not be me :)

Glad I could help.

Trink, hope it works for you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:15 am 

It did work. Logged me on automatically all day yesterday, and this morning. I set this bb up in Firefox as "allowed" and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks!!!!

trink.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:14 am 

Yeah Trink !!! :D 8-)