Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fundraising Campaign to Improve the Board
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:23 pm 

I like the angled one too...but a small decorative bowl would be equally nice as a design. I think I would struggle with the porthole. I have visions of knocking it over when things are moving fast on the stove. I don't think a lid is necessary. I can't see anything but the cat getting into the salt in my house.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:35 pm 

jim262 wrote:
I use the porthole design and it is sort of a "good news" "bad news" situation. The "bad news" is that my big paw will not fit in the porthole to grab much salt so I have to use a wooden spoon. The "good news" is that my big paw will not fit in the the porthole so I have to use a wooden spoon. Less chance of contamination.

Yes, I know that salt is one of the most difficult minerals to contaminate, but I still think it is a good idea to keep dirty hands [and cats] out of my salt pig.

I too have a porthole type and share the good/bad news viewpoint, but I want the other. I'd likely change the porthole to a fleur de sel and have regular kosher in the angled one. When I'm doing something that I worry about contamination I normally put it in a small bowl and use t directly from there.
For whatever reason the cats don't go near the salt. Probably because they are too busy enjoying ripping at the carpet on the stairs.
Edit to fix tense and to say that I used to use a ramekin but the salt was too exposed for the amount I had to put in and I dumped it quite a few times when it just looked dirty. My pepper grinder sits in a ramekin to contain the pepper dust.

Last edited by jeanf on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:30 am 

My daughter, who is also a potter, made me a group of small matching bowls for salt, sugar, and cinnamon sugar that work great, look great, and I wouldn't trade away for the world. But I do like the bowl for the salt - it has a lid - of course, I'm not fussy about using my fingers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:14 pm 

jeanf wrote:
jim262 wrote:
I use the porthole design and it is sort of a "good news" "bad news" situation. The "bad news" is that my big paw will not fit in the porthole to grab much salt so I have to use a wooden spoon. The "good news" is that my big paw will not fit in the the porthole so I have to use a wooden spoon. Less chance of contamination.

Yes, I know that salt is one of the most difficult minerals to contaminate, but I still think it is a good idea to keep dirty hands [and cats] out of my salt pig.

For whatever reason the cats don't go near the salt. Probably because they are too busy enjoying ripping at the carpet on the stairs.

Aaah cats. You gotta love them. How they convinced us to welcome them into our homes and still love and care for them even when they do whatever the heck they feel like in the moment (no matter how undesirable) is one of the greatest Machiavellian feats of all time.

I wake up to find little piles of salt, sugar, or sometimes cat litter (if the box is fresh and he's feeling particularly frisky) beside their receptacles. He just digs for fun. My salt pig with the angle is a particular challenge (so extra fun) because he has to work to get the salt out of it. It's ok, it just lives in the cupboard now, and I have trained DH not to leave the sugar bowl out on the table overnight. It was easier than training the cat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:11 pm 

[ Quote ] How they convinced us to welcome them into our homes and still love and care for them [/quote]

I love being catless :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Lindsay wrote:
My daughter, who is also a potter, made me a group of small matching bowls for salt, sugar, and cinnamon sugar that work great, look great, and I wouldn't trade away for the world. But I do like the bowl for the salt - it has a lid - of course, I'm not fussy about using my fingers.

Well, little bowls are *easy*. These aren't up on my shop yet, because I need to count them, but I make these little "dipping dishes" which we also use for personal servings of salt:

Now, my personal favorite type of saltshaker is the medieval design with the internal cone and the hole in the bottom. This design is very humidity-resistant. It's also a stone b$@#! to throw; the two I have I bought from other potters, one of whom no longer makes them because they are such a PITA.

Anyway, I have a stamp order coming up so I'll design a "cookaholics" stamp and then I can put it on whatever ware people want. I'm thinking two crossed chef's knives.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:19 pm 

Where might I find your shop? I love those bowls!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:29 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Well, little bowls are *easy*. These aren't up on my shop yet, because I need to count them, but I make these little "dipping dishes" which we also use for personal servings of salt

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these little bowls. I would buy a set for myself and at least 3 - 5 more as gifts. Please consider making more!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Becca, Nancy:

My shop is at http://www.fuzzychef.com

Like I said, I need to get out the dipping dishes, count them and arrange them in sets. Then I'll put them up in the shop. Sometime next week. They're about 3" in diameter.

Nancy, if you want to buy some, I could bring them to NYC in April and save you the shipping ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:43 pm 

Those little bowls are wonderful. Can't wait to see them in the shop. I can see all sorts of uses for them throughout the house.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next