Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Contributing to the Board
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

All,

A couple of you have asked me about contributing financially to this bulletin board, as you did two years ago when the board was starting out. At that time, I had just started a new business and a bunch of you came through ... enough to pay the board hosting for 2 years.

The truth is that this board costs me very little to host ... around $12/month. And this year, the database business is truly preposterously good. It's just not a significant expense right now ... this board costs me less than I spend on coffee. After the next dot-com crash, I might ask people to pitch in, but not now.

Given that, instead of making a donation to the board, my suggestion is that you make a donation to your local food bank in the name of the board. Record numbers of Americans are below the poverty line this year, and it's going to be a cold, wet winter. Let's help out the folks who need it more than me.

If you don't know your local food bank, google for it. Canada has a nice national association of food banks ( http://www.foodbankscanada.ca/ ) but in the US the only organizations are by state, such as the California Association of Food Banks ( http://www.cafoodbanks.org ). So search for yours.

I will be making a donation to the Jackson County Oregon food bank this year, since the Bay Area is relatively flush, but people in Southern Oregon are really hurting. Food banks take food as well as cash donations, too.

If you donate to a food bank, post on this thread. Help give someone else something to be thankful for this season.

Post subject: Re: Contributing to the Board
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:37 pm 

That is a great idea Fuzzy....very generous of you and I will make a donation to the Rocky Mountain Food Bank in the name of Cookaholics.
Ilene

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:22 pm 

Yes, very generous indeed.
I'll look into an upstate NY food bank as those are certainly in need for the Hurricane victims.
Nance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:04 pm 

Bless you, Fuzzy! We are regular donors to our Food Pantry (Monthly donation) and at the request of someone on FB (Hiba maybe or Michele?) we donated to the Vermont food drive after the flood/storm, and of course, the Schoharie county pantry. This year, we have "adopted" four families for the holidays. Our next donations will be in the name of the board. As you said, the need is huge this year. This has been my mission - to make sure there are no hungry Americans.

Thank you, Fuzzy, for thinking this way!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:20 pm 

Great idea, Fuzzy! My Mom, sister, and myself have all bought some turkeys on sale ($.49/lb) last week, and given them to the food bank at Mom's church, and this week the same store has it on sale again, so I think our cards will allow another one each. I also gave them a large amount of legumes I got in 20 lb bags in an Indian grocery for very good prices.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:24 am 

Excellent Idea!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:10 am 

You may be pleased to know that I serve on the board of directors of one our local food banks http://www.shepherdsheartpantry.org/ , We serve 600 families weekly, you are correct...the need is great and the reward of serving and or giving is immeasurable.

One thing to be aware of when contributing to most food banks such as the one I am involved with is that many are served by larger food banks such as the Capitol Area Food Bank (Austin) http://www.austinfoodbank.org/ They provide us bulk food for around .10 to .15 cents a pound, cash donations clearly go MUCH further than a can / food drive or giving of other food stuffs. All contributions however are useful and appreciated. I believe in the adage that the giver gets more than the getter.

What a good suggestion!!! :mrgreen:

There are lot's of good ones to choose from, just find one and GIVE!

Last edited by Da Bull Man on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:29 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
All,

The truth is that this board costs me very little to host ... around $12/month. And this year, the database business is truly preposterously good. It's just not a significant expense right now ... this board costs me less than I spend on coffee.

Well now I clearly see why CK & TOBB won't run a decent BB, clearly the ROI is not there. Shoot, I'll send them $12.00 a month just to give some of the jerks over there a place to be besides here... :twisted:

Did I say that??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:43 pm 

Great idea! Second Harvest will get some extra money. However, If you ever need donations to upkeep this place/home let me know. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:12 am 

Very thoughtful of you, Fuzzy. I already give to a food bank via payroll deduction, but will add an extra gift on behalf of Cookaholics.