Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A few questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 pm 

1. When I tried to post this a.m., it seemed as though I was quickly running out of room. So I finished my post, but noticed Mary's was much longer. Is it just a glitch, or was I limited? Also, is it a huge PITA to give us more posting space?

2. If there a spell check here and I can't find it? It wouldn't be unusual for me not to, but if it's here, where?

3. You had mentioned the idea of "chat" at one point, and no one seemed interested, but now that it's much more lively, might want to revisit it.

4. Consider at some point, a Tips and Tricks category and a Humor category. We are a funny clever bunch.....

5. I don't know how to quote someone specifically; e.g. "Amy wrote...." and how to set a link without using the whole address.

Thanks!!!
-k

Post subject: Re: A few questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 pm 

:?: Further to this, I know that at least three of us (myself included) have posted a reply only to have it not appear. Is it possible to determine the cause? I hate to have my brilliance floating around just anywhere! 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:43 pm 

wino wrote:
:?: Further to this, I know that at least three of us (myself included) have posted a reply only to have it not appear. Is it possible to determine the cause? I hate to have my brilliance floating around just anywhere! 8-)

I have also had this problem, I assume because I clicked on the lower or wrong "SUBMIT" button.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:51 pm 

Me too. I always wondered if I have been sending lots of pm's that no one is answering.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:14 pm 

Frankly, it never entered my mind that I could make a mistake! :lol: :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:15 pm 

KSyrahSyrah wrote:
5. I don't know how to quote someone specifically; e.g. "Amy wrote...." and how to set a link without using the whole address.
K: At the lower righthand corner of each post you should see a button labeled "Quote." This will open a reply window and place that entire post in "Quote" tags (They look like this, without the spaces inside the square brackets):
[ quote="KSyrahSyrah ] ...(quoted text)... [ /quote ]

What you should then do is delete all but the pertinent text that you're quoting so people don't have to wade through an entire post.

I just checked and you're allowed 60 thousand characters per post. This is more than the reply window can show in one screen, but the window should scroll to accommodate your entire reply. Are you using a very old web browser?

To create a link you highlight the text you want to be the link (drag your mouse across it to make the text white with a dark background). Then click on the "URL" button above the reply window. This will make your text look ike this (without the spaces inside the square brackets):

[ URL ] link text [ /URL ]

As you may have found, this much doesn't work. What you then need to do is add the actual web address of the link inside the first "URL" bracket, like this:

[ URL=http://bb.fuzzychef.org ] link text [ /URL ]
or,
link text

As Paul has mentioned, the links don't show up very well, so once I've done that I make the link stand out by changing the link text to bold and blue:
link text

Just highlight the specific text and select the "font colour" on the righthand side of the reply window, then the B button above the reply window.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

KSS, Wino:

Quote:
1. When I tried to post this a.m., it seemed as though I was quickly running out of room. So I finished my post, but noticed Mary's was much longer. Is it just a glitch, or was I limited? Also, is it a huge PITA to give us more posting space?

Per Pete, you have 60,000 character limit, so I doubt you're hitting that. What web browser are you using?

Quote:
2. If there a spell check here and I can't find it? It wouldn't be unusual for me not to, but if it's here, where?

The board does not have a spell checker. If you use Firefox, Chrome or Safari as your web browser, it has a built-in spell checker, which is what I recommend. I'm not sure about IE. Does anyone know if there is a spell checker for IE?

Quote:
3. You had mentioned the idea of "chat" at one point, and no one seemed interested, but now that it's much more lively, might want to revisit it.

Yeah, I just need to get some (substantial) time off work. Setting up the chat plugin is complicated.

Quote:
4. Consider at some point, a Tips and Tricks category and a Humor category. We are a funny clever bunch.....

I'd kind of assumed that Tips and Tricks should go into "Cooking Questions". However, a Humor folder seems like a good idea.

Quote:
Further to this, I know that at least three of us (myself included) have posted a reply only to have it not appear. Is it possible to determine the cause? I hate to have my brilliance floating around just anywhere!

I can only think of a few reasons for this to happen:

1. You exited the browser or lost your internet connection before the posting was done posting.
  2. You pressed "Preview" and never clicked "Submit".
  3. You pressed "Cancel" instead of "Submit".
  4. You pressed "Save" instead of "Submit". "Save" saves a draft post for you to complete later. Drafts are stored in your User Control Panel. (I've done this several times)
  5. Sometimes the board notices a change to a topic while you were typing and asks if you still want to post your reply. If you ignored that message and moved on, the post would not go up.

Other than those things, I can't imagine what would cause a post to be lost. PHPBB is fairly simple, mostly-bug-free software. Of course, if you can trace the exact sequence of events then next time you lose a post, we might be able to track something down.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:22 pm 

I'd grown accustomed to "this board is for discussion of cooking topics only..." :mrgreen:

Pleasant to see someone care! I knew they did, of course, but...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Paul,

Well, that's the reason we started this board, now, isn't it?

Now, get me some decimal color values! Stat! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:55 am 

wino wrote:
Frankly, it never entered my mind that I could make a mistake! :lol: :lol: :roll:

Frankly...me either, or too...