Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: New coffee maker
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

I understand wanting a super-automatic if you're getting up that early. Unfortunately, I don't know that any of the super-automatics is any better that the Capresso. I've been told that the pod machines actually make a better cup of coffee, but then you have to consider the cost of the pods.

Personally, when I used to get up that early, I used a regular conical drip machine with a timer and ground coffee and loaded it up the night before.

For conical burr grinders, I have Solis, the company which has renamed itself Baratza and sells through Starbucks. Their older grinders were very good yet inexpensive; I don't know if the grinders still are (good, that is); they've been getting more mixed reviews lately. Note that I'm grinding for espresso.

CoffeeGeek.com used to be a great source of reviews. However, in the last year or so they've stopped moderating the reviews which means both garbage reviews as well as making it impossible for new reviewers to join or new products to get added. So it's not the quality source of info it once was.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:47 am 

The pod coffee makers are excellent and a good choice if you only have a couple cups a day. The price of the coffee would be worth it for me to have it always be fresh.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:49 am 

Tim wrote:
Amy,

We have a Capresso MT-500, loved by some and not so much by others. It makes really good coffee but sometimes has incontinence; yes it pees on the counter if there is too much bloom, if the carafe is not centered, if your crappy grinder creates fines that clog the brew stop and if you run a full pot with old coffee still in the carafe. It's just like your kids, after two years it becomes (you become) house broken. Lacking diapers, I clean it with a brewers bottle washer and a shop-vac, once a month. It has a wonderful thermal carafe that holds 50 whole ounces, they call that 10 cups. They stopped production to produce a cheaper machine, but Tuesday Morning has them for only $99.

Did I tell you that the KA ProLine Grinder is really good and doesn't create as much static electricity as those higher speed grinders?

Good luck and think about the Aerobie Aeropress, $30 and lower acid and funkier than a Technovorm.

Tim

ps: You're supposed to ignore Berg----. What would he know about scallops?

Tim,

For $99 I'd give the Capresso another try. The nearest Tuesday Morning is a two hour drive. (I do live in the middle of absolutely nowhere, so a two hour drive to buy something isn't unheard of around here.) Do you think they'd tell me if they have one if I call them? (My only experience with TM is from NY, and their customer service was pretty nonexistent.)

Thanks!

Amy

P.S. You are right about Berg...couldn't resist...dumbass.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:52 am 

marygott wrote:
The pod coffee makers are excellent and a good choice if you only have a couple cups a day. The price of the coffee would be worth it for me to have it always be fresh.

Mary

Mary,

I love the idea of the pod machines, but the thought of the amount of waste that would go into a landfill from the pod packets makes it a non-starter for me. I'd love if they'd come up with a refillable system...oh wait, they have, it's called an espresso machine...lol.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:13 am 

Amy
I am not much of a coffee drinker, so I am happy to have a french press in the house when guests want coffee. That said, I have friends who bought a Cuisinart last Christmas and tout it as the best cup of coffee they have ever had. It has a bur grinder and I believe it has a timer, so you could set it before going to sleep and wake up to no hassle coffee.

I also have a friend who bought the Kureig (sp?) and loves that she can get a cup of coffee, tea, hot chocolate in two minutes with no fuss.

From my brief stint at Sur La Table, I know they tout themselves as experts on coffee makers, so maybe their web site could give you some help.

ilene

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 pm 

The pods get recycled here but we couldn't justify it either. Darn good coffee though and also a great way to have different kinds of coffee.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm 

Well, I just got back from the great big city (Montrose, don't ya know) and I stopped at Target, where I picked up a brand, spankin' new Bodum French Press. I've got an insulated coffee pot that I've had for years, so now all I need is a burr grinder. Thanks for all of the input!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:30 am 

Finally, a good cup of coffee...of course, Andy didn't notice the difference...lol.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:16 pm 

Keurig does have a 'My K-Cup' thingy for using your own coffee, but to be honest it's not something I want to deal with first thing in the morning :P

I dream a dream of home...Where there’s coffee on the table...And kindness in your hand- Lyle Lovett

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:26 pm 

I have the CI recommended Krups coffee maker and while the coffee is all right, the coffee-maker has been incontinent lately (obviously stress-related). Ironically, I ordered another CI recommended coffee-maker (Cuisinart) and it too was... well let us just say... it did not have a shy bladder and had to be sent right back! So for now, I'm back to the Bodum - which not only makes better coffee but doesn't leak!

Gerard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next