Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: New coffee maker
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 am 

Two words: Reusable K-cup.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:08 pm 

I still use a #6 cone and filter draining into a vacuum carafe, but the economics of the K-Kups for a couple of cups in the morning is not all that frightening.

A K-Cup is filled with 9.5 grams of quality coffee that is packed for freshness. At 10\lb, that 9.5 grams of coffee is worth about $.25. K-cups seem to be available at a cost $.50 each in a wide variety of coffee varieties.

My coffee habit would cost about $2\day using K-Cups. Using #6 filters with 45 grams of coffee to a liter of water costs $1.06. I may have to reconsider a Keurig.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:09 am 

My Safeway has the 16 ct. K-cup package of Starbucks (I got French Roast) for $6.99.
I got a box so I can brew up a single cup for dinner.
I make drip coffee in the mornings.
IMO the K-cup cannot compare to fresh brewed but it is an acceptable substitute for the occasional use.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:38 am 

JesBelle wrote:

I actually bought one of these when I bought the machine. I have used it a few times but to be honest...them cute lil K-Cups are just so darned easy to use you turn a blind eye to economics... :oops: Sam's Club sells em for a little less than .50 cents each...I tell myself "what's two bucks a day" then I multiply by 30...then 365...get depressed and sit down and relax with a hot cup of coffee. 8-) :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:51 am 

For me it's not the economics of Keurig cups, it's the amount of waste going into our landfills.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:05 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
JesBelle wrote:

I actually bought one of these when I bought the machine. I have used it a few times but to be honest...them cute lil K-Cups are just so darned easy to use you turn a blind eye to economics... :oops: Sam's Club sells em for a little less than .50 cents each...I tell myself "what's two bucks a day" then I multiply by 30...then 365...get depressed and sit down and relax with a hot cup of coffee. 8-) :lol: :mrgreen:

One thing I've learned from growing up doing the green thing (Passive solar! Canvas grocery bags that are 20 years old now! Recycling since the days when you had to take both ends and the label off the can and squash it underfoot!), is that if it's too inconvenient, nobody's going to do it. I would probably buy a bunch of the reusables and fill them all at once. I doubt that it's much more work than filling one. In fact, I'm leaning toward that right now since Geekboy has access to a Keurig at work and his thermos seems to be intent on curdling the milk in his tea by lunchtime.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 pm 

I love my Keurig. I think it's going on being 9 years old. Kcups can be tossed in the blue bin here.

Costco sells a limited selection of k cups. They are not a bad price, but may not be blends which you mat enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:35 pm 

I've tried Kcup coffee, just not my cup of Joe. I did have a pretty good cup from a Nespresso in WS not long ago but still prefer my drip---grind fresh roasted beans (2-4 days off roast) just before brewing, using a 10 cup Technivorm or sometimes a 5 cup (4 oz cups) Zojirushi. Someone in an earlier post mentioned cup sizes---seems European is considered 4 oz, American 5 oz? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but think that's right. The 10 cup Technivorm is 40 oz capacity just like the 8 cup Bonavita (sold in Europe as a Melitta).

Never tried the Capresso, hear good things about that brewer. Anyone know what the water brew temp is on those AND how long it takes to brew 8 cups? (curious about contact time) :P

Becky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:25 pm 

I just had to send my five-month-old Capresso back for replacement. I haven't been as happy with this new model (CoffeeTeam TS #465) as I was with my older model that bit the dust after 10 years. I can't recommend it now. I think it takes too long to brew and the coffee can get bitter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:57 pm 

Darcie wrote:
I just had to send my five-month-old Capresso back for replacement. I haven't been as happy with this new model (CoffeeTeam TS #465) as I was with my older model that bit the dust after 10 years. I can't recommend it now. I think it takes too long to brew and the coffee can get bitter.

Darcie,

If your old model was the Capresso MT500, just hop on over to a Tuesday Morning and get one for $100.

We have owned one of these for 15 years. Other than the childhood incontinence problems (you have to own one of these to understand), it was wonderful.

We bought a new one at Tuesday morning four years ago assuming that ours would die. It still is chugging along.

Tim

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next