Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: New coffee maker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:40 am 

Wow, our closest BB&B doesn't have them! I will have to check others in our area to see if they do. I have a houseguest who is an espresso fiend this weekend through Wed. We ended up at the Sur La Table 45 mins away on Sunday to buy two more sleeves of regular and two sleeves of decaf (for me, because drinking espresso at night is means a sleepless night). We are almost out again! Luckily the big online order will be here today. Whew.

I'm a little unsure what to do with the pods while I am holding them for recycling. I have a 3 qt container with a bag in it where they are living now. But the opposite evils of a good seal (mold, immediately, in FL) or slightly open to dry (big, nasty bugs) is kind of a dilemma. No room in the fridge and we won't be going down to recycle them too often.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:30 pm 

Lisa,

I use my finger to poke a hole in the foil on the top of the pods after I am done cleaning up from having the coffee. They are usually cool enough to handle by then. Once you have a small hole, it's easy to make it large, and then they rinse out easily. Then I drop the plastic pods into a recycle bin with no real risk of mold. The grounds go down the sink, but that is no big deal for me.

The Caffe Vergnano (at BB&B) pods are super convenient, but have plastic tops so cannot be recycled as easily (I suspect I will use a steak knife to pry a hole in them to rinse them out when I get around to it) - I'm pretty sure the plastic is recyclable. They are also each individually wrapped in a sealed bag, which I'm not sure is recyclable. The quality of the coffee is pretty good though if you can find them. I too need decaf pods for after dinner. DH wanted a latte last night and I was too afraid of being up all night to drink more than half of mine. I have also discovered that Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon makes an excellent sprinkle for on top of the foam.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:59 pm 

We are loving the nespresso. The dharkan and kazaar pods both make exceptional latte macchiatos. I am loving the one button convenience of fancy coffee drinks. So much easier than our old manual espresso machine. It also made exceptional espresso drinks, but the effort it took made me not use it much.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:04 pm 

Carey, my BB&B had the Caffe Vergnano, I picked up 2 boxes to try even though we still have lots of our initial order. Thanks for the tip, I will report back on our experience. We too are still loving the machine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 am 

Yay! They are not as good as the nespresso, but I like the darkest one, and the lungo. I only do coffee with milk though, so I'm not sure how they would hold up as a true espresso. Those I only drink with sugar and a good dose of grappa at the in-laws.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:03 am 

I had my first Affrogato last night - it was wonderful.

Because we are still in the mode of trying all the different blends to see what we like, we spend a lot of time pawing through the container and looking for what we want to try. I found a chart online but it was outdated so I used his format, simplified it and updated it. The first tab is the chart of current flavors and the second has the photo from the Nespresso site.

Enjoy! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:38 am 

ldkelley wrote:
I had my first Affrogato last night - it was wonderful.

Because we are still in the mode of trying all the different blends to see what we like, we spend a lot of time pawing through the container and looking for what we want to try. I found a chart online but it was outdated so I used his format, simplified it and updated it. The first tab is the chart of current flavors and the second has the photo from the Nespresso site.

Enjoy! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

--Lisa

I absolutely love this! As I keep telling my husband, spreadsheets are not just for work related things. ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:02 pm 

We got the Lattissima+ in time for V day. I love it so far. DH enjoys it, but worried about cost, so I got him some refillables. I've had more espressos in the last few days than in the last five years. I am so happy I was enabled :lol: . We've been going through the assortment that came with it. First all the intense ones. I also ordered 50 from Nespresso to start and a drawer to put under. We are going to tape the booklet that shows the pods to the cabinet door. I am enjoying a Ciocattino now. Love the Arpeggio and Dharkan and Fortissio Lungo. I was really impressed with the delivery, ordered in the morning Wed. and it was here afternoon Thursday. The bad is that our BB&B does not carry Nespresso, only Keurig. Amazon lets you buy 10 at a time, but they are double the price, so only worth it if you don't want to spend $40.00 to get 50.

I don't think I'll use the milk part much. I don't want foam on my cafe con leche, so I'll just heat the milk in the microwave and pour in my coffee Cuban style. However, DD is super happy for when they visit. They drink several cups a day (probably only way to keep up with a 23 and a 41 mo old).

As an aside, reading about all the coffees transported me back to childhood. I remember that every time we visited my dad at work, he was testing mixes of beans, roasting times, grinds, etc. (He was in charge as the owner was mainly absent). We always got to have a taste. They made 3 different blends, a special one, the big one, Pilon and a cheaper version. I am not sure why he did that since at least Pilon was always the same. I remember the smells, the noise, the big bean vats, etc. All the beans were Cuban grown. I read somewhere that real Cuban coffee is to espresso as tequila is to liquor. Not quite sure what that means as I don't drink tequila. It is bittersweet, visited my dad yesterday, and it is so sad, he does not really remember (still at almost 96 I am glad to have him.) In case you want to be nostalgic with me Celia Cruz. Anyway, sorry for the ramble. And thanks for enabling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:51 pm 

Great memories - thanks for sharing :!: :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:47 pm 

Cubangirl wrote:
We got the Lattissima+ in time for V day. I love it so far. DH enjoys it, but worried about cost, so I got him some refillables. .....

Refillables? Curious minds would like to know more....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next