Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: New coffee maker
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:18 pm 

We are on our 2nd. The first lasted about 10 years and had couple repairs. This one is about 5 or 6 years old and we have had no problems with it. The newer one is much less funny, very automated and the newer ones are even more so. There used to be a lot more around but, as I said, lots of people have moved to the Nespresso or other pod machines. The pods can be recycled. Interesting story, my fabled coffee trader friend said that the Nespresso was invented to up the value of coffee as that people drink better coffee now but less of it. Who drinks a coffee with meals now?
Mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:50 pm 

It is good to know that the pods are recyclable. Macy's does have Nespresso machines but they seem to be all just expresso and I don't want to have to purchase something else for steamed milk. My husband likes it straight up, but I drink Cafe con Leche, mostly.

I'll have to do some more research.

Thanks all!

--Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:51 pm 

You are not willing to do the milk in the microwave for cafe con leche? That is what I do. Then again, we are still using a stove top espresso maker. Offered to get DH a Nespresso, but he refuses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:01 pm 

This one has the frother http://m.macys.com/shop/product/nespres ... ryID=24732

Wini, do you separate the pods?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:29 pm 

Well, I let my husband read this thread, begrudgingly agreed to go look at the Nepressos after work and unexpectedly came home with an Latissimo model. We will try it out tomorrow, and I thank you all for your advice. :)

My current annoyance is that I can't find anyplace at all locally to buy pods. Amazon has them, which is great, but are their any retail store fronts that carry them? While I completely believe all of you that this thing will make great coffee, it feels like such a racket.

Also, favorite pods? (Thanks, again!)

--Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:42 am 

Their story is that they don't sell via retail outlets because they can't control how long the outlets will store/warehouse the pods, and they want to ensure the customer gets good quality. I dunno. In Canada at least, they only sell via the web site and their own stores. My favourite pods are Dulsao and Arpeggio. For a milky drink, you may find Arpeggio too mild, depending on how you like your drinks. I mostly drink straight up, no sugar, so lean towards moderate beans.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:50 am 

Well, I have to say that you all were right on the quality of the expresso. Asher had a straight expresso this morning with an impressive crema (Ristretto) and I had a cappuccino with max froth (fortissio) so I could see how well it frothed. It frothed well.

The idea they can't control how long stores will store it is bs because they can put a date on it. >.< But we will probably just buy a huge assortment direct from them (and store it too long! ;) ). There is a Nepresso Boutique about 45 mins away, but we don't get down there too often.

All the advice much appreciated.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:13 am 

Lisa, I had the same annoyance. We bit the bullet and ordered with a friend to get over the amount needed for free shipping. We got the ristretto, arpeggio, capriccio, fortissio lungo, and Decaffeinato Intenso. I think the Capriccio is the favourite thus far for both of us, with ristretto being his next and arpeggio being mine.
Amazon sells a fill your own system, but I don't see it as being a major savings when you factor in the coffee.
There is a company out of NY ( I think) that came up in a google search as making high quality nespresso compatible cups for slightly less.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:02 pm 

Oh shoot, monkey hear about, monkey want....I got enabled into buying one. Made some darn fine cappuccinos with the Ristretto and Arpeggio. I adjusted the milk up a bit though from the pre-set. I think the Ristretto was the favourite of the two for us. We had been eyeing the Saeco super automatics for years but could never justify biting the bullet. This seems like a nice alternative even if we will have to order pods online. DH is often in TO for business too, so I will press him into service for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:50 pm 

Update on the pods from BB&B. The strongest one is quite good when used for Lattes. At $6 for 10 they are not badly priced, and local is handy. The 2nd strongest is not as nicely flavored IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next